BYC members in Massachusetts?

How easy is it to get 6 month old layer pullets this time of year? The only place I know that has any is Dodge grain.

FYI - Avian Influenza has spread past the northwest.

www.mass.gov/agr

Poultry Alert
March 19, 2015

Over the last few weeks there have been multiple identifications of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) in multiple states. Both wild birds and domestic birds have been found to be susceptible. The states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California, Minnesota, Missouri, Arkansas, and Kansas have had confirmed cases.

The current situation is believed to have resulted from bird to bird contact in the winter feeding areas of wild migratory birds and the subsequent seasonal movement of these birds along their normal migratory pathways. These normal migratory patterns could result in the introduction of HPAI on the East Coast, whether now or later.

The Department of Agricultural Resources, Division of Animal Health is taking this opportunity to alert veterinarians, producers, hobbyists and all other bird owners to this serious threat. MDAR recommends strict biosecurity practices to minimize contact between domestic poultry including waterfowl and wild birds and wild waterfowl.

Clinical signs of Avian Influenza in birds include: respiratory disease, coughing, sneezing, and snicking; decreased egg production; swollen heads; swollen or discolored wattles or combs; or sudden mortality. Flock owners in the affected states have reported sudden dramatic mortality increases in their flocks with no other apparent signs.

It is critically important that owners of flocks experiencing any of these clinical signs immediately notify their veterinarian or state or federal animal health officials. Prompt notification will assist in early detection of the pathogen and hopefully limit the spread of the disease.

The Division of Animal Health can be reached at 617-626-1795. Additional Information regarding Avian Influenza can be found at:

USDA-Avian Influenza - www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth
MDAR Avian Influenza - www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/agr/animal-health/poultry/avian-influenza.html
National Turkey Federation - www.eattrukey.com

Has anyone ordered from Meyer? How long was the shipping time and what should I expect on arrival day? Does the post office call you and say come pick up your live animals?

Has anyone ordered from Meyer? How long was the shipping time and what should I expect on arrival day? Does the post office call you and say come pick up your live animals?
I ordered from Meyer. The ship time was like a day and a half after you wait for your batch to hatch. They come in a small box with holes in it and a heat pack. The post office called me to let me know they were in but you can also get text message updates on their arrival. I believe you can have them delivered to your home but they take a few more hours of driving around to get home. Meyer also gives a free chick to you if you promise to donate some eggs or meat to people in need. I like that they allow for smaller batches of chicks to be mailed after May (i dont remember exactly when) because it is warmer outside. Shipping is still pretty nuts at about 40 bucks a mailing. If any chicks die you do not have to pay for shipping again for the chick reimbursement and any additional friends that you buy to come along to keep him warm.

I have heard that Meyer's chickens (as well as other large hatcheries) are quite a bit smaller than local farm chickens.

I placed an order through Meyer yesterday. My very first time ordering from a hatchery. I was able to order three, shipping is expensive, but it's worth it for me. They are suppose to be shipping in early April.

Last edited:
I have ordered from Meyer 3X. Two times the shipping came right to my home, and once they called me to the PO. The shipping has been overnight twice, and once there was mix up and it took 3 days...
This year I drove up to Dodge Grain in Salem NH to get chicks so I didn't have to sit at home for 3 days wondering when/if I would receive my chicks and how many DOA's there would be.

My classroom eggs are scheduled to hatch tomorrow! I am hatching bantams (unsure of what kind) and white leghorns. Neither kind can be sexed because of feathering and size. I am looking for good chicken homes who wouldn't mind straight run. I might have as many as 12 available. I am located in Springfield, MA.

Is anyone else alarmed about the Avian Influenza issue? A poultry page I follow had shared another poultry page's post about how a vet said that it could be here, on the east coast, within 30-90 days. I'm becoming very nervous about it. Is it worse this year or is it always this bad? I remember a little bit of hype last year but I'm not sure if I just wasn't paying attention.

Back
Top Bottom