BYC members in Massachusetts?

Hi, new to the site, new to raising chickens, and new to MA as well. Moved back here near husbands hometown, settled in Charlton a few months ago. He has always wanted chickens, so he started researching, gathering supplies, and when he actually got some from TS a few weeks ago, I was determined not to bother with them. My, how quickly that changed! I'm infatuated with these new babies! We have 11 chicks, I believe they are about 5 or 6 weeks old now. Originally, when they were all either black or yellow, I thought we only had 2 different kinds, but now that they are feathered, we see 5 different kinds of hen. One possible rooster. I will be posting pictures in the other area eventually to help with identification.

Well my rooster, Shakespeare, has decided that he wants nothing to do with his girls. Anyone in Southeastern Mass area have a Barred Rock roo available?

Hi, new to the site, new to raising chickens, and new to MA as well.  Moved back here near husbands hometown, settled in Charlton a few months ago.  He has always wanted chickens, so he started researching, gathering supplies, and when he actually got some from TS a few weeks ago, I was determined not to bother with them.  My, how quickly that changed!  I'm infatuated with these new babies!  We have 11 chicks, I believe they are about 5 or 6 weeks old now.  Originally, when they were all either black or yellow, I thought we only had 2 different kinds, but now that they are feathered, we see 5 different kinds of hen.  One possible rooster.  I will be posting pictures in the other area eventually to help with identification.

Chickens are very addicting! They should come with warnings...
:welcome

Hi, we are just finishing up our chicken coop and were planning to move our chicks out there this weekend. My chicks are 5-6 weeks old, and appear to be feathered- do I need to put the heat lamp outside when I move them? We are in central MA, still chilly at night so thought Id ask those of you that are in this region. Thanks

Hi, we are just finishing up our chicken coop and were planning to move our chicks out there this weekend. My chicks are 5-6 weeks old, and appear to be feathered- do I need to put the heat lamp outside when I move them? We are in central MA, still chilly at night so thought Id ask those of you that are in this region. Thanks

A lot of people say they're fine once feathered. I personally just put my 9 week olds out with a light just because the nights are still chilly. Keep an eye on them, like chicks in the brooder, mine huddle if they're cold.

Hi, we are just finishing up our chicken coop and were planning to move our chicks out there this weekend. My chicks are 5-6 weeks old, and appear to be feathered- do I need to put the heat lamp outside when I move them? We are in central MA, still chilly at night so thought Id ask those of you that are in this region. Thanks

Hello :) I am in Central MA too and I would wait at least a couple more weeks before letting them stay out all night - it is still to chilly at night. They can spend time outside (supervised) during the day. Mine were born May 5th and they did not go outside for good until 8-9 weeks.

As for the heat lamp - I do not use one since I have seen too many people lose their chickens and coops to accidental fires. Not even this winter with the cold temps we had did I even think about putting one inside the coop. They have feathers and huddle together to keep warm. It's not worth the risk of losing them and the coop. I would make a suggestion that with the perches - use a 2x4 on it's flat-side so in the winter they can keep their feet flat and be able to plop their bodies over their feet to keep them warm.

Those are just some thoughts. What part of Central MA?

Thanks! It did seem too cold still to leave them outside, since I notice they are still under the heat lamp periodically during the day while in the basement brooder. But I have started taking them out during the day a little. I only take one at a time outside though, Im afraid they'll all run off or something! (we have 11). BTW, we're in Charlton.

We are in Warren MA. Ya, it's still in the 30's at nights.

I let mine out last year in the run for a little while to get some fresh air too. If you have any other questions this is a great forum, I have learned a ton from all the folk here. These were our little ones at 2 weeks old. Now they are all big and fat!

Back
Top Bottom