BYC members in Massachusetts?

Thanks KrisCVT! I have checked out coops for a cause and their prices are fairly reasonable. I might try to convince husband to get a coop and then make a run. Since I'm having trouble deciding between the 4x4 and 4 x 6. If I just end up getting 6 bantams, the 4 x 6 seems excessive and I worry they wouldn't be warm enough. Is yours insulated? Did you make your own run or get one there as well?

Thanks for the info. Going to a breeder with both is a good idea Berkshire Chick! (I just have to find one in eastern ma) But I also haven't ever seen a bantam so I have no idea either... We went to a persons backyard in town and saw there 6 chickens and the kids got to hold one. They were all smiles and excitement. I want to post the picture, but apparently its on my husbands phone. Will post later!

I want Favorelles too Keesmom, those pictures are great! Do your kids actually help?? Thanks for all the welcomes!

Another chicken owner was kind enough to show us their chicken set up and hold their chickens. There's my kiddos holding a chicken for the first time.

I think the prices on coops for a cause are a bit high, considering you have to buy the run separately from the coop. There is a guy in East Brookfield, MA that makes them all by hand and it includes a run.

I think the prices on coops for a cause are a bit high, considering you have to buy the run separately from the coop. There is a guy in East Brookfield, MA that makes them all by hand and it includes a run.

That's kinda what I thought too! And even if the coop part is reasonable, the cost for the run seems really high. Haven't heard of that guy but i know if you search coop or chicken coop on the Boston craigslist (or any of them probably) theres a ton of people but you have to scroll all the way down because some are repeat adds and i dont like the cedar one

@mooncon, we have 7 bantams (including 2 silkies) and we love them! We also have a few large breeds but the bantys are super fun, friendly, and cute! Bonus is that you can have more because of their size. We get almost all our chicks from MPC and all bantams from them are girls.

Last edited:
Hello to all the new Massachusetts peeps!! Is everyone lovin' this weather or what?

We recently lost another girl. Out EE, Sweetie, died over the weekend. We aren't sure what happened, but she was fine in the morning.
1f622.png

Hello to all the new Massachusetts peeps!! Is everyone lovin' this weather or what?

We recently lost another girl. Out EE, Sweetie, died over the weekend. We aren't sure what happened, but she was fine in the morning.
1f622.png

I love the warmth! No more having to break ice off of the water buckets in the morning
wee.gif

Sorry about your hen
sad.png

I love the warmth! No more having to break ice off of the water buckets in the morning :weee

Sorry about your hen :(

Thanks. She was a great layer and will be missed. I just ordered some EE bantams and a Cream Legbar for replacements. We can't wait for new babies!

I'm glad that it's warm enough to dig so we don't have to dispose of her another way.

Back
Top Bottom