BYC members in Massachusetts?

Hatched out 28 chicks this week. Everyone was fine except this little one. This one started to zip and got stuck. Membrane dried all over her/him and needed help getting out. Once we got him out this poor little one had spraddle leg, really badly curled toes and was TINY. About half the size of the others. Some would say cull it... I went with nurse him the best I could. Well three days in, spraddle legs corrected toes are straight and he's starting to eat on his own. Still keeping him separate till he gets a little stronger. Hopefully he keeps improving. We named him Forrest. Don't know if it's a he or she but either way, he's a fighter <3

congrats on your little bugger here. This made me sad however... a few months back I hatched 8 of my own eggs. The last one had curled toes. I did do the whole band aid thing and when I took the band aid off, there was no improvement. My boyfriend and I made the difficult decision to cull her/him. I think if I was a stay at home person, and didn't have the responsibilities I have, I could have tried longer and harder. I wonder if I would have been lucky. I am still sad I didn't have the time or the knowledge to try harder. We named her muffin and she/he is buried in our back yard. The other 7 chicks are doing great. I'm glad you gave this little one a chance and I'm glad she is doing so well.

Hi All! I just moved everyone in their new coop!
I'm realizing I wish I had a couple more... Is their anyone locally that sells pullets, I don't feel like starting from babies again. Would love EE's or Americuna to fill out my various breeds. Thanks for any tips!

My rural house (where the chickies are!) is in Princeton MA! We got our chickens from a farmer in Ashby ma

Last edited:
I have a Band of Brothers, 6 EE Roos. They were hatched in the classroom and I foolishly said I would take them. I'm in a semi-urban setting, not supposed to have roosters.Going to The MSPCA's Nevin's farm soon if I can't find a home. We will try and keep one with a no- crow collar. They are a gorgeous bunch and Roos brought up from day one together can live in harmony if there are no girls to fight over. I'm think they could be perfect addition to a ice cream stand/petting farm kind of set up. Live as pets. They love to be held and stroked and told how beautiful they are. PM me with any leads. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom