BYC members in Massachusetts?

Why is it so hard to buy pullets? I went through the chick stage and it's too much work especially in the summer when we're gone all the time. I'd like to buy some feathered birds that I can transition into my flock but it seems so hard to find places/people who sell 8+ week old pullets. Is this because there is not much money in it? I purchased three from a local place last year and two have died already so I won't be getting any from her again. Any suggestions?

There's a store in providence that should have pullets soon/now?

Cluck! Is owned by a woman who has a small farm in the state and iirc she sells her pullets.

I don't know how far away PVD would be for you, but it's close enough to mass that I feel it's worth bringing it up.

Welcome Welcome to uou both.

Rozzychick, I always see chickens including EEs on Craigslist. You could try there.
As AlphaRooster said, Craigslist is a good place to start. I list there whenever I have extras to sell. I am going to post soon with Easter Egger, Olive Egger Blue and Black Copper Marans and Wheaten, Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas. I also have a couple of the rare white sport Legbar roosters.
I also suggest giving a more specific location when posting on here looking for local. I am in Granville MA.

Moving back to the area soon and thinking of a few backyard chickens in westfield. Is it worth it to go to town hall and apply for a permit first, or just get my self a few hens without a permit? I'll be in a pretty quiet area with almost an acre.

For the second day this week (Wed & Mon) one of my red sexlinks layed 2 soft eggs! One big soft egg and then another just slightly smaller. What does this mean? Any guesses?

For the second day this week (Wed & Mon) one of my red sexlinks layed 2 soft eggs! One big soft egg and then another just slightly smaller. What does this mean? Any guesses?
I think it just happens sometimes and dosnt really mean anything. Kind of like double yolk eggs and micro eggs. You didnt mention how old she was but it may happen more as the chicken gets older. You could try giving them oyster shell to increase calcium especially if you are seeing thin shells overall.

Back
Top Bottom