BYC members in Massachusetts?

My friend's friend is getting rid of his rooster if anybody wants a rooster! She just texted me so i took screenshots of all the info but basically he's a Silkie and he wants $20 or to trade for a Silkie hen. He's moving to Vermont. And I just talked to my friend on the phone too and apparently he's also getting rid of his 3 ducks, those are $20 too and all males I think. She thinks they might be muscovies but she's not really sure. 2 of them fly and one doesn't anymore so I'm thinking they might possibly be something else but don't know. She's going to try to get pictures of them. So yeah. If anyone wants one just tell me and I'll tell my friend and/or put you in contact with one of them. Thanks.

Has anyone had good experiences with a vet caring for their chickens? I live near Essex, MA and I'm looking for a vet to have on standby should any medical issues come up. There are a lot of vets in the area that have avian qualifications but they really seem more aimed at parrots and not chickens. If anyone on here has any recommendations or advice I'd love to hear it!

Has anyone had good experiences with a vet caring for their chickens? I live near Essex, MA and I'm looking for a vet to have on standby should any medical issues come up. There are a lot of vets in the area that have avian qualifications but they really seem more aimed at parrots and not chickens. If anyone on here has any recommendations or advice I'd love to hear it!

A bit of a ride for you- but Dr Stephen Dyer is board certified in avian medicine and is excellent with chickens. I have had the pleasure of working for him as a veterinary technician and recently brought one of my own hens to see him. He is wonderful. Currently works at Northpaws Veterinary Hospital in Greenfield, RI. Dr Jaqueline Warner is another exotics vet I worked with- she is great with chickens and ducks. I think she is currently at The Family Pet Center in Ashland. Heard positive feedback about the exotic vet at Angell, and there is also one at VCA Southshore, Weymouth that is great with poultry; she gave a backyard chickens lecture a few months back... Good to be prepared!

Any owners in Weymouth? We're moving there & want to keep our flock.

Hi SillyRooster, I am in N. Weymouth and just started raising chickens in May. Have you read up on the town reg's? I can only find this where its listed about a third of the way down: http://ecode360.com/31149640

We went to the board of health and filled out the app before we even purchased the chicks in case we couldnt get permission. The animal control officer Mike came out right away and was quite nice, able to help us figure out how/where to build our coop.

How many chickens do you have? How long have you been raising them?

Good luck, keep us posted!

p.s. You may have to change your name.... Roosters are not allowed in Weymouth!

Last edited:
I can't seem to find good pullets, can anyone recommend a place that sells them at least
eight weeks old? I raised four from chicks and they are doing great but the last batch I purchased two have died and one looks like she's on her way out. Why is it so hard to find pullets, is it because there isn't much money in it? I'm willing to drive for them, looking for four.

Both McMurry's and My Pet Chicken will mail them. I also have heard of some farms selling them, but I think a hatchery might be safer.

So, my 5 redstars are 5 months old. Their habitat is a snap lock large plastic coop with 4 NBs , a vent that slides open and closed at each peak.It is open to a covered with netting and chicken wire dog run, I haven't had to open and close them in because they are secure, as chickens who live outside can be,.We have had so little rain that they seem confused by it. I am thinking ahead to winter. I do not believe in heating a coop. But what should I be thinking about as winter approaches. Close them in on windy frigid nights, close one vent, leave the other open? wrap the run on most sides? I am on Cape Cod so I think most of our winters arent too harsh, but I could be jinxing myself.. thoughts from local experiences?

A bit of a ride for you- but Dr Stephen Dyer is board certified in avian medicine and is excellent with chickens. I have had the pleasure of working for him as a veterinary technician and recently brought one of my own hens to see him. He is wonderful. Currently works at Northpaws Veterinary Hospital in Greenfield, RI. Dr Jaqueline Warner is another exotics vet I worked with- she is great with chickens and ducks. I think she is currently at The Family Pet Center in Ashland. Heard positive feedback about the exotic vet at Angell, and there is also one at VCA Southshore, Weymouth that is great with poultry; she gave a backyard chickens lecture a few months back... Good to be prepared!

Gonna have to remember these. Speaking of which can chickens get ticks?

Back
Top Bottom