BYC members in Massachusetts?

Hey everyone, it's been awhile. I wanted to hop on and share some pictures of our coop progress. We designed this here at the farm and are super excited about its possibilities. Essentially, it is a coop that houses 2-3 birds but can grow to house 8-9 with an expansion set (called Courtyard). It is completely predator-proof, but still allows the flock plenty of ground to scratch at.

Sorry about the text over the pictures, these are the ones we will use for advertising.
Hope you like it!

Hi Neighbors!

I'm new here and a fellow member directed me to this thread. I'm looking for show/pet quality chickens for my first backyard flock and I'm having trouble finding anything locally. Specifically looking for:
2 splash and 2 blue ameraucanas, golden and silver laced polish, and one black or blue silkie.

Anyone have any local contacts? I'm located in central MA but I'll travel to nearby states. Many thanks! :)

Hi Neighbors!

I'm new here and a fellow member directed me to this thread. I'm looking for show/pet quality chickens for my first backyard flock and I'm having trouble finding anything locally. Specifically looking for:
2 splash and 2 blue ameraucanas, golden and silver laced polish, and one black or blue silkie.

Anyone have any local contacts? I'm located in central MA but I'll travel to nearby states. Many thanks!
smile.png
Hi and Welcome to the thread. I think it is a little confusing to say you are looking for show/pet quality chickens. Did you mean show or pet quality? They are kind of opposites, pet quality is one that would not be up to show standards or they would be show quality. Anyways I have the BBlSp Ameraucaunas and know of a few other places that have them depending where you are located. PM me.

[quote name="MAchicken105" url="/t/50058/byc-members-in-massachusetts/2220#

2 splash and 2 blue ameraucanas, golden and silver laced polish, and one black or blue silki

Anyone have any local contacts? I'm located in central MA but I'll travel to nearby states. Many thanks! :)[/quote]

Hi and welcome! I had a hard time finding chicks locally too. But after a disastrous 16 dead chicks being delivered from a hatchery I found a few local places. I had to adjust the breeds I ended up with but it turned out to be a good thing because I got some that I love and would have probably never gotten otherwise. So first I got 4 chicks from twin cedar farm. They have a website in acushnet ma. Depending where you live is south east mass. I live in Upton and it took me about an hour. But then I found Shamrock farmof Mendon. Super nice guy, Jim, who was a tremendous help for me. He has a lot of chicks still and he is very reasonably priced. All vaccinated etc. let's see if I can remember correctly. Twin cedar has FBCM, barred rocks, I think heritage RIR or NHR can't remember, cream legbars, Swedish flower and I think they have polish too. Check their website because I can't remember now. Nice people.

Jim at Shamrock has light and dark brahma, welsummer, pencil rocks, buff rocks, white Wyandotte, ameraucana (not Easter eggers) barred rocks and I can't remember what else but he had a lot. Look on his Facebook page. He usually lists what he has on Thursday or Friday for weekend pick up and he is in Mendon. I will definitely get more chicks from him in the future. Are you close to Mendon? Anyway I'm sure there are countless more but they are a bit hard to find and even harder to get someone to respond back to you. I had a few breeders give me he total run around but I won't mention them here because I'm trying to be nice
1f61c.png
. Good luck, welcome and share your adventure here!

I think you're right about the breeds they have at Twin Cedar, but I'll add that they have silkies and Olive eggers as well.

I have an OE, Cream Legbar, FBCM roo, and a Swedish Flower all from Twin Cedar. The Legbar and the Swedish Flower are two of the flightiest birds in our flock, but I'll chalk that up to them being raised by a broody. Annoying though! The OE and FBCM are about to become parents any day! I'm hoping for a hen that lays a nice dark olive colored egg, since my OE is a 2nd gen, and I bred back to a dark egg layer. (Well, laying breed, obviously my roo isn't an egg layer!)

gig.gif

A Native Mass living in Dallas, TX, Greetings!! Grew up in SouthCoast area close to RI & Cape Cod.. Family still there with plenty of chickens too! I visit as much as I can these days..

Thanks for warm welcome… Looks like u have a nice diverse flock too! Family lives in Dartmouth, Taunton & New Bedford…. 
Where do you get ur chickens from?

No problem! And yes I definitely do :) I tried to get different breeds so I could see which ones I liked and also tried to pick friendly, winter hardy ones. Because of that, I kind of ended up with more common breeds but I hope to add some more rare breeds/color varieties eventually :)

I actually got my birds from Meyer Hatchery! They're my first chickens and I've been happy so far :)

Oh and I'm near like Kingston, Plymouth, etc.

Back
Top Bottom