BYC members in Massachusetts?

It's a haul from the south shore.

There's Den Besten Farm in Bridgewater. That may be closer. 

Thanks!
It's a haul from the south shore.

There's Den Besten Farm in Bridgewater. That may be closer. 

Thanks!

I just Googled it and it definitely is closer (30ish minutes versus 1 hr 39 mins) but almost all of the Google reviews are terrible :/

I just Googled it and it definitely is closer (30ish minutes versus 1 hr 39 mins) but almost all of the Google reviews are terrible
hmm.png
I have never taken birds there so I don't know what they are like. Too far from me.

Sadly there are so few processors around. I started taking birds to Granite State when they first opened. They were always busy but it was easy to get an appointment anytime. Now they are crazy busy most of the year. Meaties, turkeys, spent hens, excess cockerels, no more ducks or geese though.

I'd process them all myself but I'm sure it wouldn't be appreciated by our vegan neighbor.

I have never taken birds there so I don't know what they are like. Too far from me.

Sadly there are so few processors around. I started taking birds to Granite State when they first opened. They were always busy but it was easy to get an appointment anytime. Now they are crazy busy most of the year. Meaties, turkeys, spent hens, excess cockerels, no more ducks or geese though.

I'd process them all myself but I'm sure it wouldn't be appreciated by our vegan neighbor. 

I definitely appreciate the suggestion! Most of the reviews seem pretty consistent in terms of what they say otherwise I might think it was just one crazy jerk (though there was one who only left like 5 reviews, all bad lol). They all seemed to say they were rude/terrible customer service or one said racist, idk how true that is, a few said they drink on the job, and some mentioned sanitation or it being a dump (which isnt fair as most processing places aren't gonna be glamorous lol but the first part could be true). Sooo yeahhhh, I think I might avoid them :lau

But they're still in business so it could be false but the reviews all said the same type of thing except a few good ones plus a few say it's pricey anyway.

Btw, I'm not trying to blame you or anything, just figured I would say what the reviews said in case people want to know. But anybody can just Google the place and read the reviews themselves and decide if it's real or not.

I think if it's just once a year, the drive wouldn't be too bad.

And LOL yeah, i don't think my parents or neighbors would appreciate it either

Anybody know of any goats in MA? Planning (wayy) in advance :gig

I did look on Craigslist for the first time in a long time and I did find quite a few, I guess cause it's kidding season, but not really what I want or at least not close. I was hoping for maybe something a little bit closer. Nigerian Dwarf, dairy breed, or Boer wethers I'm thinking. They'd be for clearing brush (and of course pets) so idk what'd be best?

Anybody know of any goats in MA? Planning (wayy) in advance :gig

I did look on Craigslist for the first time in a long time and I did find quite a few, I guess cause it's kidding season, but not really what I want or at least not close. I was hoping for maybe something a little bit closer. Nigerian Dwarf, dairy breed, or Boer wethers I'm thinking. They'd be for clearing brush (and of course pets) so idk what'd be best?

Have you tried the Homesteaders of New England Facebook group? I believe Kim Enos has them from time to time and she is someone who knows her stuff (unfortunately I couldn't find her contact info)

I definitely appreciate the suggestion! Most of the reviews seem pretty consistent in terms of what they say otherwise I might think it was just one crazy jerk (though there was one who only left like 5 reviews, all bad lol). They all seemed to say they were rude/terrible customer service or one said racist, idk how true that is, a few said they drink on the job, and some mentioned sanitation or it being a dump (which isnt fair as most processing places aren't gonna be glamorous lol but the first part could be true). Sooo yeahhhh, I think I might avoid them :lau

But they're still in business so it could be false but the reviews all said the same type of thing except a few good ones plus a few say it's pricey anyway.

Btw, I'm not trying to blame you or anything, just figured I would say what the reviews said in case people want to know. But anybody can just Google the place and read the reviews themselves and decide if it's real or not.

I think if it's just once a year, the drive wouldn't be too bad.

And LOL yeah, i don't think my parents or neighbors would appreciate it either

We tried Bestens and they were fine (this was prob 5 years ago). It was quite chaotic early in the morning. I have been using Antoneli's in Providence for our turkeys and been pretty happy. The cost went up last year to $.55/lbs from $.29 the year before. Which was a bit of a shock when I brought 17 birds averaging 30lbs each!
We did a chicken processing class last year but haven't yet decided if we can do it again this year.

We tried Bestens and they were fine (this was prob 5 years ago). It was quite chaotic early in the morning. I have been using Antoneli's in Providence for our turkeys and been pretty happy. The cost went up last year to $.55/lbs from $.29 the year before. Which was a bit of a shock when I brought 17 birds averaging 30lbs each!
We did a chicken processing class last year but haven't yet decided if we can do it again this year.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, maybe it's just random people getting offended or since it all kinda says the same stuff, maybe a group who decided to all post bad reviews for whatever reason. Either way, thanks for the other suggestion too! But wow that's quite the price jump! Still seems pretty reasonable though? Or is that high? I don't know what the average is. I'd have chickens if I did it so definitely not 30 pounds hah

Have you tried the Homesteaders of New England Facebook group? I believe Kim Enos has them from time to time and she is someone who knows her stuff (unfortunately I couldn't find her contact info)

I have not tried it but I did hear the guy at TSC mention it to a customer once, I think he made the group? These people had just moved here. I meant to check it out but never did, if it was the same one that is. I'll have to look! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom