BYC members in Massachusetts?

Fisher's are actually quite large and I wouldn't imagine one that close to a city in my wildest dreams. I have always lived around the Berkshire foot mountains and very rarely does one have Fisher problems out this way, where they have actual natural habitat. It's those damn fox that are an overpopulated brazen nightmare.
Fox and coon can rip birds through chain link. I would be hesitant to consider a fox a threat from the top however. Yes, they climb, or dig, but really only during hungry times will they penetrate a run like you describe. Near a city I imagine you have plenty of easier food sources for them, so they'll keep walking unless they have no choice.

The chickens might kill whatever bush you have in there.
Did you say you're going to be using clear plastic panels? I would switch to metal. Those plastic panels make for excellent greenhouse material. You might slow cook the birds :lau
I’ve had a Fisher run through my yard at 9:30 am. I’ve heard them under my window at night. I’m not in the city but it’s not as rural as your area. We have pretty much all the predators Massachusetts has to offer. That’s why I have a sturdy coop and run and don’t free range. Even though the other poster is closer to Boston there are likely Fishers and coyotes in her area.

Yeah, I have no choice - I have a full time job and two young kids, and a long winter ahead when I won't be able to get anything done, so I pretty much have to if this is gonna happen :lol:

That makes sense!! Haha I didn’t have one and didn’t even have a brooder ready with my first ones. :lau

I’ve had a Fisher run through my yard at 9:30 am. I’ve heard them under my window at night. I’m not in the city but it’s not as rural as your area. We have pretty much all the predators Massachusetts has to offer. That’s why I have a sturdy coop and run and don’t free range. Even though the other poster is closer to Boston there are likely Fishers and coyotes in her area.

Oh wow that’s scary!!

A friend of mine here in Western Mass had her whole flock wiped out last year by a Fischer Cat that got in their 2x4 welded wire. We might be more rural than you though.

That’s awful. :(

:eek::barnie Damn those are some unsettling stories... I'll need to think about this some more. We do have parks and woods sort of nearby, but my house is sandwiched between two busy boulevards and is on a busy street, don't know if that will make a difference... Damn, I don't know what to do. This project is already getting pricey to just go all hardware cloth :(

:eek::barnie Damn those are some unsettling stories... I'll need to think about this some more. We do have parks and woods sort of nearby, but my house is sandwiched between two busy boulevards and is on a busy street, don't know if that will make a difference... Damn, I don't know what to do. This project is already getting pricey to just go all hardware cloth :(
Are you planning to lock them in a coop at night?

Did you say you're going to be using clear plastic panels? I would switch to metal. Those plastic panels make for excellent greenhouse material. You might slow cook the birds
Here's an overhead sketch of the whole chicken setup... The clear plastic panels are in purple, next to the coop, and the whole thing is in the shade directly under a full-size maple tree (the plastic panels will be for rain protection, not for shade). Hopefully that won't cook the chickens... right?

Plans_Everything.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom