BYC members in Massachusetts?

Anyone going to the Spencer Fair ?? Fri- Monday 10a-10p (monday till 6p)
I am going as a vendor for my soaps... I will be in the vendor building INSIDE ;) Not saying to come buy anything just would LOVE to say HI to anyone that is on here !!!
There is a poultry show too... plus all other 4-H stuff, tractor pulls, car derby smash.
Suppose to be Great this year since it was closed last year.

Anyway, if you go come say Hi to me as it is just me for 4 days 12 hours a day :(
-Lin

Hi al!! I’m in MA and looking to rehome one of our two year old buff Orpington’s to a new home. She is a loud layer and has become a problem due to noise for our neighbor who has some sensitivities. Is anyone looking for a beauty?
If you would be able to deliver her, then I'd be glad to take her!
I have one other Buff Orpington hen that's just about ready to lay.

We're in Westfield MA. If you're able to do this, please message me.

And, of course, pictures please! :) ❤️

Incubator to borrow or space to rent?
Our broody hatched 4/12 eggs and decided this morning that she is done. The other 8 eggs all looked viable a week ago and 6 of them should be due to hatch in the next few days. 2 of them will be at least a week more (broody hen was an egg hoarder and somehow acquired other birds newer eggs - we caught her moving eggs earlier this summer with a previous clutch).
So... Anyone able to help?
Thanks.

Hey neighbors. I currently have some bunnies available in western mass. Thank you for looking!

8 weeks old on 10.14 these are pure blooded, pedigreed American Chinchilla rabbits. Males and females available. Recognized as "critically endangered" by the Livestock Conservancy, American Chinchillas are a beautiful, versatile rabbit that can be utilized for show, pet, or meat breeding programs. They have a commercial body type and adults reach 9-12 pounds.
Bunnies from our rabbitry will come with an ID tattoo in their left ear, a FULL PEDIGREE, a starter amount of feed and hay, and lifetime support from our rabbitry if you should have any questions. We will also take rabbits back for any reason.

Here is a couple pics.
20211001_161853.jpg

20211001_163621.jpg

Hello Mass Peeps! I was curious as to how many of you have wrapped your coops and runs or whatever you do to protect your chickens from the worst of our New England winters. Last year winter temps came early but it's been relatively mild so far this year. I have a large run that I cover with heavy duty shower curtains. I string them on rope so on warm days I can pull it back for more air. I'm planning on getting them in place this season after the end of next week. I think this will be the latest I've ever hung them so far. Have you started your winterization plans yet?

Hello Mass Peeps! I was curious as to how many of you have wrapped your coops and runs or whatever you do to protect your chickens from the worst of our New England winters. Last year winter temps came early but it's been relatively mild so far this year. I have a large run that I cover with heavy duty shower curtains. I string them on rope so on warm days I can pull it back for more air. I'm planning on getting them in place this season after the end of next week. I think this will be the latest I've ever hung them so far. Have you started your winterization plans yet?
Hi!
I have a roof covering part of my run, so the snow doesn't get to the ground and scare the chickens off. My chickens HATE snow. Some of them stay in the coop all day at the sight of snow..
I try to make sure that I have the most possible amount of snow-less ground in their runs (they have 2). So I usually shovel most of their runs as well.
My coop, however, is insulated and the chickens never get cold if they stay in the coop.

Hi!
I have a roof covering part of my run, so the snow doesn't get to the ground and scare the chickens off. My chickens HATE snow. Some of them stay in the coop all day at the sight of snow..
I try to make sure that I have the most possible amount of snow-less ground in their runs (they have 2). So I usually shovel most of their runs as well.
My coop, however, is insulated and the chickens never get cold if they stay in the coop.
My chickens don’t mind the snow the day after. They don’t like freshly fallen snow, but the next day they are all ready to bust out of their run and go digging for whatever they can find.

Mine was covered 2 weeks ago.. easier to do when your fingers aren't falling off freezing ;)
last weekend I took the Heavy duty tarp off and made rafters and wood sheeting to make a hard roof so if I'm working I am not too worried about the snow amount on top that will need to be brushed off. Oh it has the tarp over the wood as a good measure to help it slid off on it's own when it is only a little.
My tarp covers top and the 2 sides, coop covers one end and the other end is open.
I will be getting clear plastic to cover the other end except the top 1/5 for vent/circulation of air. I may try the shower curtain idea as I can get them cheap at the $1 store but I need to get in that end to add hay, fluff things up and put treats in.

BTW, I like to get things done early as you NEVER know when Winter will hit here... or even just the cold.

Today I tidied up the area inside the coop and got Winter Food all stored in there. In the run I gave them another big 4x2 long board to hop on and put the leaves I raked up in there for them to scratch in.

Back
Top Bottom