BYC Newbie

nekonoir

Chirping
Sep 28, 2014
Tulsa, OK
Greetings all!

My name is Erin but I go by Neko online. I'm a stay at home mom, live in Tulsa with my husband and toddler, and a friend of ours just gifted us with a brand new hutch and 4 beautiful bantam chicks. I know little to nothing about chickens and hope to learn a lot from this community, also, if anyone can help me identify my chicks' breed(s) I would appreciate it.

All I know is that they've been sexed and are all female, are about 30 days old, and I think they were bought at Atwoods. The pictures aren't the best but these ladies are very active so it's hard to get a good shot. We have 1 black, 2 sort of caramel colored, and one light yellow.

Thanks! =^_^=

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Neko is a cute nickname. I don't know if you are aware of it, but "Neko" is the Japanese word for cat. My son-in-law is Japanese and he calls one of our cats, "Neko." In other words, her name is "cat." You have some adorable chicks. They are really young to try and identify by breed visually, but maybe someone at What Breed or Gender is This? can point you in the right direction. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your new chicks.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

What cuties you have!! X3 on Kelsie and the breed and gender area.

Best of luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Very cute!! Just a wild guess on the black one...looks like a Black Australorp. I keep BA's and they are a wonderful breed to keep!

Definitely follow the link that Kelsiei has provided to the What Breed and Gender section. They will be able to tell you what you have.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens including a good article on raising your new chicks which I will include here...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy those cutie pies and welcome to our flock!

You must be a chick charmer because you got them to pose so well for the camera. They are so adorable it's too bad we can't touch them through the monitor.

Hi, Erin, welcome to BYC. If I were a gambler, I would guess a full size barred rock, 2 full sized red sex links, and 1 silky, but that would only be if I were a gambler.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm not completely sure on the breeds, but I think you might have two Production Reds (the reddish ones) and a Barred Rock. I don't know what the yellow one is. It looks a bit like a Buff Orpington.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom