BYC Saved the Day!

pacetruckguy

The West Coast Chicken Whisperer
10 Years
Dec 8, 2009
Petaluma,CA
When I got home today, I went out to take care of the girls and instead of 8 there were only 7. I looked in the coop--no girls. I counted again only 7. One of my two Americaunas was gone. I checked the whole run----no holes, no tears. Checked the coop again----no chicken. I called my wife to tell her someone had broken into my chicken coop and stolen my favorate bird. She couldn't believe it.
hit.gif

Then I recalled a post I had read earlier today about someone finding a chicken that had been missing several days behind the nest boxes. Sure enough I looked behind the nest boxes and there she was, with her wings up and her body wedged down a 3 inch space behind the boxes. She didn't make a peep until I started to try to get her out. After some tugging and pulling as carefully as I could out she came, none the worse for wear. I put her down in the run and she started scratching for scratch.
Bottom line, if I hadn't read about someone else finding her chicken I wouln't have even thought to look there. I still can't believe she fit down there. I boarded up the small spaces so it won't happen again. I plan to hanging the nest boxes on the outside of the coop soon anyway to give the girls some more room.
Who ever posted that story this morning Thank You So Much! I tried to find the post but couldn't find it. Thanks again.
wee.gif

Yestersday, I spent the afternoon attaching the nestboxes to the outside of my coop to insure there will be no more chickens trapped anywhere. I think it should make collecting eggs, if and when I get any, much easier as well. I do have a RIR who is sqatting when ever I enter the coop, and she seems to be the most interested in the new nestbox set up I'm hoping that her behavior is leading to some egg laying soon. I'm very pleased with the way the coop came out, and it gives the girls some more room as well. Here is a picture of my accomplishment.
celebrate.gif

45502_coop_upgrade_004.jpg

You can see the ground and green stuff....!!!!!! Sorry,sidetracked - the coop is nice. My chickens would probably kill by now to have the yard snow free.
barnie.gif
Good idea to add the external nest box. You should have an easy time getting eggs out. You may want to put a couple of fake eggs (wood or ceramic or even golfballs or egg shaped rocks) in the nestboxes to give them a hint on where to lay....

Back
Top Bottom