BYC Spinning Fiber

Originally Posted by GardenGal

Why spin your own fiber?

I spin so I don't kill people .....
I love it!!!

Wow, that's some beautiful roving! Great colors. I've only ever used commercial roving, but this spring I really want to start from fleece.

peepacheep, I use Jacquard acid dyes

Buck Creek. That is stunning! Did you separate & spin each color of that roving on its own? Are you leaving it a single or will you ply it?

I had the opportunity to spin on a Matchless for a few weeks (it was a student's wheel that needed a good going through.) Her son found it for her at an auction and was able to get it (and all the whorls & extra bobbins) for $75.
ep.gif
It is a great wheel! My student isn't spinning anymore, but she isn't ready to sell her wheel yet. I get first dibs when she does!!

It is staying as a single, in fact being crocheted into a shawl right now, the Icarus Shawl. this Indie dyer, dyes in 3 repeats. what I did was separate the repeats and spin the sections together. the second roving will be spun when I know what color I need to start with, for the second wing of the shawl

Wow a Matchless for $75, someone didn't know what they had. does it have a serial number, you do know that the number is the 'birth date' of the wheel, only the earliest one's don't have it

I wish I could take credit for the dye job, but its not me. Its off Etsy: Woolgatherings (my fav Indie Dyer) I'm in her dye club too. Just love her stuff.

Back
Top Bottom