Fat and Fiber Levels in Feed

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
Depending on the brand and feed stage, these numbers seem to be all over the place. What's a reasonable target for laying pullets, or a multi-age flock? I'm guessing lower fat, higher fiber? Does it depend if they're free-ranging, or what sort of treats you're feeding (if any)? I'm trying to read about poultry nutrition, and there's lots of discussion on protein and calcium... not so much for fat or fiber.

Our birds are confined. I'd like to offer 18% chick crumble with 20% all flock pellets in their treat toys. They love black soldier fly larvae, which are high in protein/calcium/fat. So perhaps a lower fat food is preferred in that case. Maybe 2.5 vs 3.5?

BYC is better than any one source, so all opinions welcome!

All flock feed is great because it gives layer hens what they need as well as chicks at the same time.
Ditto.
I buy 20% all flock and feed to all chickens of all ages. This is all they need. Treats should be kept to a minimum, less than 10% of their diet at the most.
This is what I currently use, the flock all love it.
IMG_3312.jpeg

All flock feed is great because it gives layer hens what they need as well as chicks at the same time.
That was the original plan. I'm insistent that their main feed be crumble, since it provides more "bites" and therefore takes longer to eat while they're in confinement. They absolutely refuse the Purina Flock Raiser crumble. I've tried twice, and they told me they'd rather starve! 😩 They love Nutrena All-Flock, but it only comes as giant horse pills. So that goes in their treat toys. Nutrena does make a crumble version, but it's impossible to get. Even online. So here we are at chick feed! 😬

Ditto.
I buy 20% all flock and feed to all chickens of all ages. This is all they need. Treats should be kept to a minimum, less than 10% of their diet at the most.
This is what I currently use, the flock all love it.
View attachment 3704355
I buy this too, and mix it with the same brand's layer crumbles. Perhaps I should stop wasting my time, but I don't get why they make layer crumbles then if this is good enough for them, with a side of oyster shells that is.

I have not tried this one. My only gripe is no one sells it locally, so I'd have to Chewy it (Chewy's a verb, right?)
Yes, but you get free shipping if you buy like 3 bags of it. Sometimes they have a $30 gift certificate they email to you if you spend $100 but I haven't seen that promo in a few months.

So here's a great example of what I was talking about.

Nutrena All-Flock: 2.5% fat, 6.0% fiber
Kalmbach Flock Maker: 3.25% fat, 5.0% fiber

Do these numbers matter? Is it a negligible difference? Curiosity is peaked since going from 16% protein to 18% protein could be the difference between feather picking or not!

Yes, but you get free shipping if you buy like 3 bags of it. Sometimes they have a $30 gift certificate they email to you if you spend $100 but I haven't seen that promo in a few months.
That could work when have six chickens, but we're down to 2. I'd be worried about it going bad before they could finish it.

Also, I think they're running that promo right now if you're interested!

EDIT: code GETJOLLY

Last edited:
That could work when have six chickens, but we're down to 2. I'd be worried about it going bad before they could finish it.

Also, I think they're running that promo right now if you're interested!
Do you have a freezer or freezing weather? You could get gallon freezer bags and load 'em up, then put in your freezer, or here, outside in a cooler or sealed in a tote works for temporarily.

Holy shnickies, your right! They ARE running that sale. See ya, I'm off to Chewy!

Back
Top Bottom