Ideal feed for pet roosters?

kuki mom

Chirping
Aug 25, 2020
Hello we are in Mexico and limited resources on high quality pet chicken products. I’ve been feeding my roosters a European organic grain and seed mix for pigeons plus organic chick starter and layer feed. I looked into all flock crumbles but they contain super high protein at 20 percent. My boys also get protein snacks like bsf larva and fish, so I don’t want the feed to be too high in protein. I recently got 18 percent chick starter grower USDA organic Purina (price tripled for the import 😞) what is the difference between chick grower and all flock besides the protein content (actually all flock has more!)? I only use non-medicated. Are my pet roosters better off on grain and starter mix or all flock 20% crumbles? The breeds are silkie and polish, only pets.

what is the difference between chick grower and all flock besides the protein content (actually all flock has more!)?
I don't think there is any real difference that would matter in your case.

You noticed the protein. (Either level of protein is probably fine for your roosters.)

Chick starter or grower tends to be crumbles (little pieces) so little chicks can eat it. All Flock sometimes comes in pellets that are too big for small chicks. Either size pieces should be fine for adult roosters.

20% is not "super high", it's a good level.
16% (as in layer) is super low, only suitable for confined layer chickens who don't eat anything else to dilute that protein level.
The upper safe limit (over time, not just a day here and there) is 25%. Your roos don't need that though. They don't need so many treats either, if you want them to be their healthiest.

I don't think there is any real difference that would matter in your case.

You noticed the protein. (Either level of protein is probably fine for your roosters.)

Chick starter or grower tends to be crumbles (little pieces) so little chicks can eat it. All Flock sometimes comes in pellets that are too big for small chicks. Either size pieces should be fine for adult roosters.
Ok great I think I’ll keep what I’m doing then. I like giving them natural foods in addition to feed and I read that more than 20 percent protein is reserved for meat and broiler birds. I just wanted to make sure that the chick starter grower feed has the same vitamins and minerals that they would need as the all flock pellets. Thanks!

I been feeding my flock with 22% protein feed for several years mainly cause I need my rooster to stay healthy.

But 18 to 20 percent protein works very well for keeping roosters healthy also.

20% is not "super high", it's a good level.
16% (as in layer) is super low, only suitable for confined layer chickens who don't eat anything else to dilute that protein level.
The upper safe limit (over time, not just a day here and there) is 25%. Your roos don't need that though. They don't need so many treats either, if you want them to be their healthiest.
The older ones have been eating just scratch grains seeds salads and bugs and other natural protein sources and they are very healthy but no way to know exact protein level overall, but I guess their kidneys will be fine up to 25 -30 percent ? I want my pet Roos to live 10 years 😇 they are not for growing muscles for consumption or for fighting. I’m just afraid sometimes the commercial feeds are formulated for farms and not for pets.

I been feeding my flock with 22% protein feed for several years mainly cause I need my rooster to stay healthy.

But 18 to 20 percent protein works very well for keeping roosters healthy also.
Oh ok great how old are your Roos?

Almost 4 years old, never had health issues.
20230723_171028.jpg

6 month old new to my flock.
20230723_171141.jpg

2 years old, born disabled also a test subject to see how long he can live with his condition.
20230513_134134.jpg

Ok great I think I’ll keep what I’m doing then. I like giving them natural foods in addition to feed and I read that more than 20 percent protein is reserved for meat and broiler birds. I just wanted to make sure that the chick starter grower feed has the same vitamins and minerals that they would need as the all flock pellets. Thanks!
Yes, the vitamins and minerals will be fine either way.

Feed with higher protein is usually more expensive. For fast-growing meat chickens, it can make enough difference to be worth the extra money. For other kinds of chickens, the higher protein does not hurt them, but does not give any real benefit either, so people usually do not bother to spend the extra money for the higher protein level.

Back
Top Bottom