BYC Spinning Fiber

chloe, if you are looking to get into spinning, a really cheap way to start is with a drop spindle. It's lots of fun, and you can use it anywhere!

You can make a rudimentary drop spindle really easily. A length of dowel, a peanut butter jar lid, and a hook will do the trick. That's surprising your drop spindle would break so easily!

I don't know if you saw my dad's wheels in an earlier post. I want him to start building drop spindles as well :)

http://olympicspinningwheels.com/

You can make a rudimentary drop spindle really easily. A length of dowel, a peanut butter jar lid, and a hook will do the trick. That's surprising your drop spindle would break so easily!

I don't know if you saw my dad's wheels in an earlier post. I want him to start building drop spindles as well :)

http://olympicspinningwheels.com/

well, it was a free one that was of a cd and a rod..

That's strange, not sure why you got a lemon for a spindle. We made CD spindles about 5 yrs ago and they are still fine, even with getting tossed around and dropped.

I have a Trindle, its a spindle that has removable beads so you can change weight for spinning different thicknessess.

they are hanging off the ST bar on my Matchless, the one with the red beads is a micro and the other is the XL both carbon fiber, for those that don't know the wood thingy is my orifice hook

Thanks, peepacheep! We have the spinning wheels at our gallery all the time. Other than that there are some big spinning events on Whidbey Island in April, and we're going to try to go to those. Wish I could come back with a few sheep - maybe next year :)

Chloe, if you want to make another drop spindle check out youtube. Aside from being fun, the saving are great. I'm making a shrug from yarn I spun, and it cost about $10 - and that's using commercial, ready-to-go roving. Can't wait to pick up a fleece and dye my own!

BC Chick, I've never seen a drop spindle like that! How very cool! (I covet your Matchless).

Garden Gal, I'd love to see one of your wheels in action. Any chance of getting a video of someone spinning on it?

Love my Matchless (thank you), and just rented a Sidekick (don't think it going back, I'm calling the store to arrange to buy it) those spindles are Trindles (you can find them on Etsy) made of micro fiber, the lage is an XL the little a Nano. the best part is the beads can be changed so you can adjust the weight and spin.

Back
Top Bottom