BYC Stats Update And Popularity Of Chicken Discussion

I think that the membership will continue to grow for two reasons.

1. because long time chicken farmers and poultry enthusiasts have never had an avenue such as this one to congregate and discuss the animals they love.

2. because the amount of people raising backyard flocks is rising at an incredible rate. people are going green and organic and chickens fit into this lifestyle very easily.

people will always raise chickens and the human desire to for social contact will keep this website running for many many years,
a raise and fall in levels of activity should be expected.
in the spring i was on alot, the summer is a very busy time on farms so i haven't been on much , now fall has arrived and i back on. i think this is true for nearly all members

if chickens were a fad, who's fad were they? adam and eve's, noah's, pioneers', indians' ? are they "out of style" yet?

I think this is only the beginning. More people are wanting control over their food supply. I want more natural products. I have met more people who started gardening this year. For me, chickens were the next step. More people are going back to the basics, and what is more basic that having chickens?

• Do you think this growth, especially in new members is going to continue?

It's quite possible, especially if BYC continues to add new features and attract the notice of sponsors. The more it grows and the more, I guess, "commercial" it becomes, the more legitimacy it will attract online.

• If so, do you think at the same rate? For how long?

Unless we continue to attract new members via creative means, the membership count may reach a plateau of some sort. I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

As well, the community mustn't be allowed to stagnate or devolve. With a larger membership, I think the push must be made harder than ever to make new members feel welcome and encourage supportive and helpful conversation. The mods can't do this alone, which is why I'm glad we have some veteran "pillars of the community" to participate in building a friendly atmosphere. Members won't continue to contribute in a hostile environment.

• Do you think chicken raising is just a fad? If so, do you think we are at the beginning, middle or end?

I think that we are near the beginning of a movement toward more eco-friendly technology. My generation (I'm 26) was raised on the ideas of conservation and recycling. I wouldn't be surprised if gardening and raising chickens are things that people my age might be intrigued by.

Additionally, with the worldwide economy the way it is at the moment, I think "back to basics" practices are becoming very interesting to members of several generations. I wouldn't be surprised if BYC's membership fluctuates according to the general population's opinion about economic growth.

• Any other thoughts on BYC's constant growth?

I think it's exciting! It does mean that there will be a lot more work for the people "in charge."

Don't be afraid to ask for help from your membership if you need it.

I believe this is just the beginning!

With the mistrust in the food industry, poor economy and the feeling that people want to "get back to their roots" the poultry world, in my opinion, is getting ready to burst!

Back
Top Bottom