BYC (to be) in Nova Scotia!

Dec 30, 2018
Hello all,

We recently got the okay from our landlord to have chickens on our small 2 acre plot. It's cold here, so I may or may not get around to building a coop this winter. We already have gardens and & i'm in the process of building a new 16x26 wood shop to work in. I grew up with a couple head of cattle and did a very tiny amount of WWOOF'ing that involved some greenhouse work, and a small flock of chickens, about 20+ if I recall.

I never paid a whole lot of attention to what I was feeding them exactly, some sort of grains, as well as seedy vegetables (that we would stomp open for them) like cucumbers, melons, tomatoes etc.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Sort of, I did a tiny amount of work with them on an organic farm, helped my friend with her small poultry flock as well. We're looking to get black australorps.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
0, but looking forward to getting some as soon as we get the coop and such ready.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We'll be looking at Black Australorps, but may go with Rhode Island Reds.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Self reliance, for sure. Ultimately my woman & I want to be self sufficient, working with the land as much as possible. Our own woodlot, gardens, pig once a year or two, i'll tend cattle, we'll have chickens, she'll have a riding horse, i'll have my draft horse. You know, typical dreams!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Hmm, Gardening (I'm way better with livestock) Chess, Carpentry, Woodworking, Reading, Hunting, Fishing, someday I'll start trapping, hiking, working on my truck, I'd love to start blacksmithing, I could go on forever!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like

Dating my woman for nearly three years, plan to marry someday, I have one son, 6 years old. No pets currently, I used to be a carpenter for years, now a service tech for doors & windows.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

Well, started googling about chickens, breeds, coop designs etc and it brought me here! so I figured I'd make an account as I have one on different websites like sawmill creek for woodworking advice and discussions. Couldn't hurt to learn more about poultry!

Also: Any nova scotian BYC keepers on here?

BYC-mixed-flock-fence.jpg

You have some great "typical" dreams... I wish you the best!!

Back
Top Bottom