BYC Veggie Poll

Which of These Veggies Will You Eat?

• Total voters
Pics
Cause they’re the same thing as cucumbers which are already on there.

Well, yeah, but that would make them definitely vegetables nonetheless, wouldn't it?

There are lots of pickles that are not made from cucumbers. Pickled heart is not a vegetable but is delicious.

I thought they were referring to pickled cucumbers specifically, but I see your point. Pickled eggs and pickled beets are pretty common here, and eggs are obviously not a vegetable, but that doesn't mean that pickled beets suddenly aren't one, either. :idunno

I'm really surprised at how close it is overall. I was figuring on the common ones like potatoes / carrots / tomatoes to be way ahead of everything else, but there are a LOT that are really close!

The only veggie dishes my family had yesterday were mashed potatoes and candied yams, so obviously we were keeping things strictly quite healthy for Thanksgiving. 🤣 Slight edit, I forgot pumpkin pie as well!

I'm really surprised at how close it is overall. I was figuring on the common ones like potatoes / carrots / tomatoes to be way ahead of everything else, but there are a LOT that are really close!

The only veggie dishes my family had yesterday were mashed potatoes and candied yams, so obviously we were keeping things strictly quite healthy for Thanksgiving. 🤣 Slight edit, I forgot pumpkin pie as well!
We had a bunch!
Cherry tomatoes with dip, along w pickles and a red pepper/artichoke tapenade on the appetizer table, green beans, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower stuffing, sweet potatoes, broccoli casserole, plus of course mashed potatoes. I wanted to bring sautéed greens and a salad but we definitely had enough without it 😂. (The cauliflower stuffing was my dish…cauliflower takes the place of the bread).

Pickles aren’t a veggie!
I would agree that "pickles" aren't a veggie any more than "boiled" or "roasted" or "fried" is a veggie. Pickling is something you can do to a veggie (like cucumber) or to a not-veggie (like egg).

If "pickles" is referring to pickled cucumbers, that would be a form of cucumbers, which are already on the list.

Every one of them if cooked right, for the ones that are better cooked.
I also eat everything on the list, if prepared right. (But some of them are easier than others to prepare right-- it's hard to mess up potatoes, but easy to overcook broccoli.)

I would agree that "pickles" aren't a veggie any more than "boiled" or "roasted" or "fried" is a veggie. Pickling is something you can do to a veggie (like cucumber) or to a not-veggie (like egg).

If "pickles" is referring to pickled cucumbers, that would be a form of cucumbers, which are already on the list.

I also eat everything on the list, if prepared right. (But some of them are easier than others to prepare right-- it's hard to mess up potatoes, but easy to overcook broccoli.)
Well exactly! Why bring up pickles as a separate category if cucumbers already exist? The pickling process doesn’t change the fact that they’re a veggie but pickles aren’t a vegetable of their own any more than pickled peas or sauerkraut.

Back
Top Bottom