BYC'er ON TRIAL! *** UPDATE*** and Video pg 2

Is there an email addy that we can send a letter to? All bycer's should send complaints regarding this ridiculous ordinance.
wink.png

What a great article! I commend her with her fight, and telling them she will not give up her chickens!!! I am sort of doing the same thing here, with much less chickens though! I told the hubby, I WILL NOT give up my pets, no way, no how! After all, these are chickens, not cougars we're talking about! More power to her!!! Keep up the good work!
thumbsup.gif
:thumbsup:thumbsup

Here is contact info from Barre Town's website:

CONTACT INFORMATION

Selectboard:

Jeffrey Blow: [email protected] (H) 802-479-2448 (W) 802-229-9335

Jeffrey C. Gagne: [email protected] (H) 802-476-3955

William Wolfe [email protected] (H) 802-476-9692

Jeff Newton (no email address available) (H) 802-476-1183

Marion B. Fish [email protected] (802) 479-9218

Town Manager’s Office:

Town Manager Carl R. Rogers [email protected] (W) 802-479-9331 Fax (802) 479-9332
(inc. Accounts Payable, Ambulance Billing, Town Service Officer)

Town Clerk’s Office:

Town Clerk-Treasurer Donna J. Kelty [email protected]
(Tax & Utility Collections, Vital Records, Voter Registration)
Office: (802) 479-9391 - Fax (802) 479-9332

Town Engineer’s Office:

Town Engineer Harry H. Hinrichsen [email protected]
(802) 479-2595 Fax (802) 479-9332
(inc. On-Site Septic, Sewage Officer)

Planning & Zoning Office:

Administrator Christopher Violette [email protected] (802) 479-2595 Fax (802) 479-9332

Assessor’s Office:

Admin. Assistant Joyce Beaudin [email protected] (802) 479-2595 Fax (802) 479-9332

Police Department:

Chief of Police Michael Stevens [email protected]
(802) 479-0509 Fax (802) 476-7211 Emergencies 9-1-1
(includes Animal Nuisance complaints)

Emergency Medical Services:

Director David Jennings [email protected]
(802) 476-3147 Fax (802) 476-3147 Emergencies 9-1-1

Billing Clerk - Town Treasurer's Office ...... (802) 479-9391

Non-Emergency Transfers (802) 476-3147

Fire Department:

Chief Christopher Violette [email protected]

(W) 802- 479-2595 (H) 802- 479-3220 Emergencies 9-1-1

Fire Warden Christopher Day: Call the cell phone number 802-498-8694

East Barre Fire Station... (802) 479-9878

South Barre Fire Station... (802) 479-9878

Public Works:

Superintendent Steve Blondin [email protected] (802) 476-3522
(includes Highways, Sewage Collection, and Water Distribution) Fax (802) 476-0963

Nights, weekends, holidays (to report emergency)...... (802) 476-3147

Recreation & Cemetery:

Supervisor Donald Gainey [email protected]

May 1 - Oct. 31 (802) 476-6174
Nov. 1 - Apr. 30 (802) 479-9331

Fax (802) 479-9332

Emergency Management:

Chairman W. John Mitchell [email protected] 802- 476-7073

Health Officer:

Dr. Samuel Hutchins III [email protected] 802- 476-6555

Address, Locations

Mail to all departments and officials:

(Name, title)
Municipal Building
P.O. Box 116
Websterville, VT 05678-0116

Municipal Building -
149 Websterville Road

I think the article was very well-written, not the normal slanted media piece of garbage. I sincerely hope that she is able to keep her chickens and continue being a small farmer. She definitely seems to have the gumption to keep this going, good for her.
thumbsup.gif
Just one more right that is trying to be restricted!

I read the article and some of the comments made it seem like she was keeping chickens in the middle of Manhattan. Isn't Vermont pretty rural? Isn't the pop. of their capital only about 9000? I am pretty sure that if she wanted to breed dogs and had a several dog runs in her backyard no one would bat an eyelash.

DB

everone is always trying to tell you what to do with your property 3and4 wheelers running up and down the roads at midnight ae louderd than a roo so are loud car radios and screming kid are they doing somthing about that?put the roos in the garage from 11 to 7 then they souldnt coplaine,keep it clean then people shouldnt comlain watch you tube to see where your eggs come from where would you rather get them?just like premis registration if you own livestock another way for the gov. to stick it to littel people.here you can have horses (a grandfaterh cause)but if your nebiorhs trow a fit you cant have chickens.such bull. i have a farmer catty cornered from me he keeps his tractors at his house they are loud when he works on them and they smell oh well people burn trash smell ow well but they complain about chickens witch we dont have many and really dont smell. well i wish her luck!!!!!!!!
ya.gif

All I have to say about this is that I own 42 chickens on an acre of land. While my chickens don't have full run of the entire acre, they do run about a 1/4 of it, and I can say that my birds DO NOT SMELL. I use DE and I used pine shavings, and I keep their coop clean. About the grossest it will be is after a bad storm. And I've been to the farm of another BYC'er that I traded some chicks with a few months back, and she had hundred of birds, and all her coops sat on maybe an acre and a half of land even though she had acres upon acres, and her property did NOT smell! I think people are making an issue out of this because they WANT to make an issue out of this. If I was close enough to Vermont, I'd cruise through her neighborhood and see for myself, and then leave one heck of a nasty blog for all those Vermont chicken haters to read!!!
somad.gif

Yep, it's quite rural here. In fact not far from me is the town of Middlesex. Scribner's dairy is practically next door to the town and Scribner's feed silage to their dairy cows so they really, really stink. Plus they run the liquid manure sprayers constantly on the fields for a mile each way. Now that is stink!

Most of Kathy's '100 chickens' are chicks, she is constanly hatching and wants to be primarily a small hatchery for uncommon breeds. Vermont does not have its own chick hatchery and thus no one local to go to for large quantities of layer chicks. Here's a great opportunity for folks!

Plus, right on Main Street in Montpelier is the Vermont Compost Company, owned by Karl Hammer (of Arm & Hammer fame) and he runs at leas ta thousand Australorp hens on his enormous compost piles.

The angry neighbor Kathy has has a few skeletons in her closet. She spends frequent trips to jail and abandoned a dog in the very house she left vacant for years to die while she went to live somewhere else. When the smell was so bad from the decaying dog the animal control had to go in and remove the poor beast! The smell from the dead dog, which was INSIDE the house was pretty bad from what I am told! Funny how that woman carries on like she is sooo innocent!

Kathy puts her roosters inside for the night as well in crates. I think she does as much as possible to accommodate the neighbors who don't seem to care that this single mother needs an income!

Shame!

Say some prayers for Kathy, she is probably on trial now.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom