BYC's 2021 Spooktacular Halloween Hatch-Along!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Getting down to the wire... 🎃 :wee

Halloween-Theme-Wallpaper-(15)final edit.jpg

Day 18, I’ve got my broody in a wire dog crate inside the coop because another hen kept trying to climb into the nesting box. I *think* that’s why one got broken. I get her off the nest every day since she’s blocked off from getting out, though she does have access to food and water inside the crate. My question is, do I put her on ‘lockdown’ like you do with incubators? She has room in the crate such that she can get up and poop away from the eggs if needed. I candled one last time this morning and removed the Shetland egg (bummed about that one) and a couple Marans. I’m just down to the back cross OE and Brahma eggs now - 6 total - but the 4 Brahma eggs look great so I’m excited and really hopeful that they’ll hatch out ok!

Day 18, I’ve got my broody in a wire dog crate inside the coop because another hen kept trying to climb into the nesting box. I *think* that’s why one got broken. I get her off the nest every day since she’s blocked off from getting out, though she does have access to food and water inside the crate. My question is, do I put her on ‘lockdown’ like you do with incubators? She has room in the crate such that she can get up and poop away from the eggs if needed. I candled one last time this morning and removed the Shetland egg (bummed about that one) and a couple Marans. I’m just down to the back cross OE and Brahma eggs now - 6 total - but the 4 Brahma eggs look great so I’m excited and really hopeful that they’ll hatch out ok!
I section mine off so no other hens can get in and I don't mess with the eggs that much, but I wouldn't call it a lockdown 🤷‍♀️

I section mine off so no other hens can get in and I don't mess with the eggs that much, but I wouldn't call it a lockdown 🤷‍♀️
Lockdown is more about raising humidity and not messing with the eggs.

A Broody hen will do both of those things on their own!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom