Bye bye boys

What prevents hatcheries from selling male chicks to other facilities to be raised as meat birds?
Economics. Male layer-breed chicks will not grow big enough or fast enough, relative to the feed they eat. So no company would WANT to buy them to raise for meat. (Possible exception: if some company was selling the meat at a much higher price, and bragging about how they "saved" these chicks by raising them for a few months and then butchering them. Some people might care enough to pay the extra money, and that might make it profitable enough to work. Maybe.)

I think we can all agree that cheaper Chik-Fil-A would be a positive thing lol. I am sure there is some regulation that is standing in the way because government is about as efficient as a cat box in the bathtub just curious what it is.
No need for a government regulation in this case. The free market, and pursuit of profits, are all it takes. Plus customers who expect a piece of chicken to be a certain size while coming from a young bird so it's tender.

Consider it a waste of feed that could have fed the more productive Cornish X. I choose to waste feed that way raising cockerels from my own hatches, but that's a combination of breeding goals and sentiment.

I can often find small chickens in my grocery stores -- so that I have to cook 2 of them to feed my family.
I only buy one or two brands so that might be why. If I'm buying breasts or whatever I am not so picky but I like to make my own stock and prefer to use Bare chickens or something more "narural" for that.

Yeah, I'm actually against using animals for food due to religious reasons, but I know that I'm in a super minority and don't expect anyone to adopt my views. Even I can see that this is pretty humane even though it sounds horrific. I appreciate, though, that folks are trying to find alternatives.
Not trying to fight, but can I ask what religion? I know of hindu, sikhism, some minor subgroup of Judaism. Love learning of different religious groups.

Even if there were consequences to humans eating the eggs/chickens from these GMOs, we would never hear about it. I am convinced that the reason cancer has so rampant over the last several decades is the hormones/preservatives in our food and the chemicals in our water. Our children are dying of cancer and now our babies are born with it. I have a great nephew that is just over a year old, was born with cancer and had to have his arm amputated. I personally think the cancer was caused by his mom getting the Covid vaccine while she was pregnant but who knows. Something caused it though.
I agree. Cancer rates have increased dramatically over the last 50yrs.... and most especially since 2020.
My uncle and neighbor were both in remission from cancer- both died 2mos after their vaccine due to the cancer making a violent return. Another healthy family member was diagnosed with cancer or the liver and kidney whereas they had always been healthy previously. It's not easy, but growing/raising our own food has been a blessing. We know what we're eating and putting in our bodies :)

Mixed feelings/thoughts. I’m not against gene editing on moral grounds. I don’t believe its playing God. “Playing God” would be creating life from non-life. Modifying the life that already exists has been around for as long as humans have been domesticating other species of plants and animals.

I am concerned about unintended consequences.
I have mixed feelings as well. On one hand it would save lots of male chicks from suffering and death. But I am not really comfortable with eating eggs/meat from Frankenchickens. Good opportunity for backyard chicken owners to sell non-gene editted eggs/meat, though.
It was really pushed because Germany has mandated that you can not cull male chicks just for being male. Went into effect either end of last year or start of this one

It was really pushed because Germany has mandated that you can not cull male chicks just for being male. Went into effect either end of last year or start of this one
Hopefully they allow people to keep roosters there. I wouldn’t mind straight run if I didn’t have regulations on crowing. I’d grow out and get lots of dinners.

Hopefully they allow people to keep roosters there. I wouldn’t mind straight run if I didn’t have regulations on crowing. I’d grow out and get lots of dinners.
Same. If it really matters to me to get females, I order them sexed and still usually get a few males as well. If it doesn't matter, I just get st run. I love males and I use them for feathers if they don't stick around, so it's no giant issue for me. Plus I consider it fair since my neighbors are loud too

Back
Top Bottom