Bye bye rooster

mommas chickens

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Spring Creek, NV
So went to pick up my little brown easter egger pullet this morning and my 16wk old buff orpington rooster puffed up and came over and peaked me and tried to get me with his feet so needless to say we are having rooster stew with homemade noodles for dinner tonight!! Ive never butchered a bird myself so my dad is gonna come over and show me how it's done. I have two small children I can't have an animal that is gonna attack sorry Stewie!!

Quote:
Good for you. Be sure to chill and freeze the meat before eating, makes it much more tender. There is lots of help out there for you in the meat section if you need it. Good luck!

Not saying you have to keep your rooster but at 16 weeks they have no idea what they are doing. Sometimes it's just teenage behavior and with a little work they shape up. However, mMy last roo was horrible from 4 weeks and we ended up culling him from the flock after he attacked 3 people in a week.

However, if you don't want a roo then processing now is fine. We have 6 roos that we are growing out to process in a few weeks.

Yeah I never intended in keeping him anyways I have to many neighbors who work night shifts out at the mines a little sooner then I had planned on but my husbands excited to have homemade rooster stew.

I see he was aptly named,
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom