Bye girl šŸ˜­

I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugsWithout necropsy, any guesses on cause of death would just be guesses. They are very, very good at hiding illness, so it could have been something going on a while, but just missed. Could have been congenital, heart problem, other organ issue, viral, bacterial, reproductive issue etc. It's just impossible to know without a necropsy. So sorry.
Thank you. David has a call into the county extension to see if anyone does that nearby

Your state vet lab in Kissimmee does necropsies on chickens. Keep the body cold or refrigerated in a garbage bag, but donā€™t freeze. Here is the list of vet labs and c
scroll down to FL:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
That's an 8 hour trip for me unfortunately. We are in the panhandle, but thank you for looking. That was very thoughtful.

The only problem is that the lab may not be open for 2-3 days, since this is Friday, and they might be closed for Presidents Day Monday. Bodies can decompose, and are best shipped overnight when the lab would be open in the am. I would call them just to check hours. In the case they wonā€™t get the body in time, I would consider doing a home necropsy in the morning. There is a good video where the organs are labeled. The things I look at are the liver color, taking pictures of the intestines, the oviduct and organs, and check the gizzard and crop for anything abnormal. Post pictures here for any advice.

The only problem is that the lab may not be open for 2-3 days, since this is Friday, and they might be closed for Presidents Day Monday. Bodies can decompose, and are best shipped overnight when the lab would be open in the am. I would call them just to check hours. In the case they wonā€™t get the body in time, I would consider doing a home necropsy in the morning. There is a good video where the organs are labeled. The things I look at are the liver color, taking pictures of the intestines, the oviduct and organs, and check the gizzard and crop for anything abnormal. Post pictures here for any advice.
Thank you. Do you happen to have a link to it? David says he will probably do it tomorrow

If you meant a link to the video, I'm not sure which one @Eggcessive meant, I will attach links to two, and a few of manuals that might be helpful too. Images are graphic, so if that isn't what you meant, apologies.

Attachments

• A visual guide to a chicken necropsy.pdf
    806.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Avian_Necropsy_Manual-English.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • Poultry Necropsy_Manual_ZP130193_PrintReady_Zoetis.pdf
    8.6 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom