1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

C+/c and I/i+

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sparklee, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    If I have figured out that my chickens have some recessive white, how do I get remove it while still keeping dominant white (homo or hetero) in the chickens?

I can figure out how to test them for C+c when I only want I/i+ or I/I.

I don't want to have any chickens with recessive white in them because I don't want any chances of put white birds appearing when breeding. However, I want to retain dominant white in these same chickens.

I don't care how many generations it takes up to about 5. Test mating is not a problem. It's become (for me) one of those impossible puzzles that I have to figure out.

Yes, I've been doing the chicken calculator for hours and hours and can't figure it out.

I'm hoping this is one of those duh questions with an obvious only-one-generation-necessary solution.

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:testing for recessive genes is rather difficul. the easiest way I can think right now is to get a known recessive white bird and mated to suspected recessive white bird(that carry Domiant white ofcourse)..

look out for ALL white birds(not leaking black or red color thru as this is comun with het dom. white).. and look for low percentage of black birds(about 25%)...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  3. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Woops I wasn't thinking correctly.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Quote:Thanks. Figured it out, I think, at least theoretically.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by