**** C S R A Group ****

I got 2hens 2roosters white bantam cochins all 4 $20 they lay about an egg a day I just don't have room for them anymore.

Hey all
I am brand new to the forum and I am looking for any and all advice on starting a small back yard flock. We have 8 folks to feed, so from my googling I have learned I am gonna need 15 or 20 birds to supply us eggs. Is this to many?

hey Greg. This is David. Pre- WWII, the US Govt was trying to get families to be self sufficient and recommended 2 chickens per person.

Hey! My name is, wait for it...John. LOL It really depends on the egg needs of your family as to how many chickens you would need. But as David said, the "norm" for suggestions is 2 hens per family member. If you would like a dual-purpose chicken, to get eggs and meat from I would look at Dominiques, Javas, & Delawares in particular but any chicken listed as dual purpose should do the trick.

I think just kind of figure up about how many eggs your family eats a week. Then depending on what kind of chickens you get. I have had several types of chickens but have found that my cinnamon queens lay a huge egg every day. They rarely skip a day. I have 15 hens and always have 4 or more dozens in the fridge. We eat a lot of eggs though and I also use them to cook with and still have some to give to friends and neighbors:)

Knock knock?...does anybody still come in here?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom