Ca. valley vs gambel quail?

Valley's are wild birds and don't lay eggs year-round like chickens. You pretty much only have one shot and that's only in the spring season. They are stretching it if they are still laying in the summer.
My valleys are still laying! Guess they've been hanging around the chickens too long. Tried a hatch this spring, but didn't do well; then just had one get sabotaged by the neighbor. Picked up two eggs yesterday from my two hens, but won't hatch more until next spring. Too cold here.

Quote:
You are describing it accurately. I let my valleys roam the backyard. When they hear the click of the opening door, they all head for cover. I can't really view how well the chicks are growing (feather-wise) unless I use the binoculars. Still wonderful birds though.

Quote:
Thanks, that is good to know that some valleys may still be laying. I guess I've been conditioned too much with the wild Valleys in my State. Here, if you went into the foothills, you would usually not find any hatchling chicks at this point because the chicks wouldn't have enough time to get to adulthood before winter. You will find at least half grown to 3/4-grown chicks though.

gambel

gambel

valley

valley

and in the females the valley will be the same size with more scales on the chest and the gambels will be much bigger than the males with a much longer neck.

Last edited:
i did at the time of incubation and brooding keep the 2 species separate (and they were purchased at totally different times) so there is no way i got them mixed (too much of an age difference). i noticed that they looked VERY similar. i needed conformation (in my own mind) that i did get 100% what i paid for. i dont like questioning a breeder's integrity, but i've heard of people mixing pheasant species and bobwhite strains. the breeders i purchased the eggs from (on ebay) had both species.

they are in process of obtaining their adult plummage, so it's just a matter of time before i am sure of them.

thanks all

ps.... to the person who lost a whole hatch, i'm truely sorry for your loss. the valley and gambel i've notice are extemely nervous birds. if you want birds you can look at thru the cage without them going crazy... then the valley and gambel are NOT the birds for you. they are pretty but as you come near the cage they hide, which really defeats the purpose of having them.
My gambles and scaled were very nervous but they are starting to get used to me

hey there,

can anyone tell me the differences between the two? i purchased (separately of course) both species eggs from different sources. made dividers for the incubator, kept them separate there, as well as the brooder cage. now they're (both species) are getting their adult plumage but they look so similar. the valley quail (males) have a brown patch behind their "top not". i thought only the gambels have this. i'm confused.

could someone please help .... maybe post side x side pics so i could compare their differences?

thanks
My info should greatly help you. Here's how:

1. If you observe carefully, you might be able to tell which is which at a quick glance! Gambel's quails are paler overall than the California quails.

2. Look for markings on their bellies. California valley quails have scaling on their bellies, while Gambel's quails do not. Both Gambel's quails and valley quails have cream-colored bellies, with the valley quails having a rufous (reddish-brown) patch. Gambel's quails, instead, have a black patch.

3. Take a good look at their heads. The valley quails have a shade of buff on their forehead, in which Gambel's quails do not have. Gambel's quails' crowns are more reddish-orange, while valley quails' crowns are more rufous.

4. Have a good look at their sides too. Both have streaks running along their sides, with Gambel's quails having maroon applied to their flanks along with the streaks, compared to the valley quails which have brownish-grey flanks.

The females of both species (if you are a newbie) can be tricky to identify if you're a beginner; rules #2 (scaling, not color) and #4 goes the same for both females of these two similar birds.

To show you what I mean, here are some images for you to compare and contrast:
wbc_California_Quail_Male_600_0.jpg
CaliforniaQuailJoC3.jpg

Above: California Quail
Below: Gambel's Quail
GambelsQuailJoC1.jpg

phoenix_gambels_quail_female_10-06-10.jpg

Hope this helps you!

Last edited:
1. You guys are posting to a thread that hasnt moved since 2012

2. Leaving light on 24 hours a day is clinically proven to drive any animal that can see light, completely insane. Its basically torture. Please let your birds sleep.

1. You guys are posting to a thread that hasnt moved since 2012

2. Leaving light on 24 hours a day is clinically proven to drive any animal that can see light, completely insane. Its basically torture. Please let your birds sleep.
Who are you talking to? In my opinion, what you've said in the 1st one doesn't make any sense (because it does not matter whether users have posted to a thread that hasn't been moved since 2012 or not), and I don't know who you're talking to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom