Giant White Coturnix Meat-Makers "AKA Fryers"

Point52Acres

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2023
So the other week I was reading up on the history of the Broiler Chicken and thought, why hasn't there been anyone raising quail for this purpose? Essentially, a larger than average bird that can easily be raised in a backyard that could be a substantial source of protein. So with nothing else really going on I decided to take this challenge on with a few changes. I understand Jumbos are basically that, but I'm thinking BIGGER.

I wanted the birds to be healthy above all else. Strong legs, hormone free, fed on a gamebird diet supplemented with essential vitamins and minerals as well as genetically diverse. The requirements to be called a "Fryer" is to weigh +20oz at 12 weeks old, dominantly white plumage and hens laying eggs that are 16g.

I started out by ordering some eggs online from Sellers with decent reviews and claimed that these eggs came from parents that were dominantly white and weight between 12oz-16oz at 12 weeks old. The
IMG_6275.JPG
IMG_6272.jpg

Here they are compared to my Bobwhite Quail eggs
IMG_6267.jpg

These are the pens the ones chosen to be breeders will be as well as some grow out cages. I plan to keep 3 hens to each rooster.
IMG_6366.jpg
IMG_6364.jpg

Those that don't meet the requirements will be sold locally or kept in "Quail Tractors" for eggs.
I will be putting big swing doors on the front made of hardware mesh as soon as this is posted to protect the birds from predators. The sides are covered in 1/4" hardware mesh.

If you have, or know of a breeder that has bird's that meet these requirements please let me know! I would be happy to purchase some eggs and mix them into the gene pool!

Any tips and advice are always welcome!
I hope to use this thread for updates on my project!

Attachments

• IMG_6268.jpg
    IMG_6268.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
So the other week I was reading up on the history of the Broiler Chicken and thought, why hasn't there been anyone raising quail for this purpose? Essentially, a larger than average bird that can easily be raised in a backyard that could be a substantial source of protein. So with nothing else really going on I decided to take this challenge on with a few changes. I understand Jumbos are basically that, but I'm thinking BIGGER.

I wanted the birds to be healthy above all else. Strong legs, hormone free, fed on a gamebird diet supplemented with essential vitamins and minerals as well as genetically diverse. The requirements to be called a "Fryer" is to weigh +20oz at 12 weeks old, dominantly white plumage and hens laying eggs that are 16g.

I started out by ordering some eggs online from Sellers with decent reviews and claimed that these eggs came from parents that were dominantly white and weight between 12oz-16oz at 12 weeks old. The
View attachment 3617471View attachment 3617484

Here they are compared to my Bobwhite Quail eggs
View attachment 3617474

These are the pens the ones chosen to be breeders will be as well as some grow out cages. I plan to keep 3 hens to each rooster.
View attachment 3617469View attachment 3617470

Those that don't meet the requirements will be sold locally or kept in "Quail Tractors" for eggs.
I will be putting big swing doors on the front made of hardware mesh as soon as this is posted to protect the birds from predators. The sides are covered in 1/4" hardware mesh.

If you have, or know of a breeder that has bird's that meet these requirements please let me know! I would be happy to purchase some eggs and mix them into the gene pool!

Any tips and advice are always welcome!
I hope to use this thread for updates on my project!
Hi....
Jumbos are the quail version of meat birds. The thing that breeders have come across as a problem is health. When they start getting birds at 15-16 oz, they start having leg and health problems. If you can work your way around those, you'll be ahead of them.
Hi.. I have Twelve Jumbo White Coturnix Quail Weighing ~430 grams. No leg issues. Weekly environment changes. 28-30% Protein when in the Small Cage, 19% Protein when Green House, unlimited water. The first time I Hatched quails I had a 600+gram.. sad cause it was stuck by the food and water next to the maggot bucket tube.

Hi....

Hi.. I have Twelve Jumbo White Coturnix Quail Weighing ~430 grams. No leg issues. Weekly environment changes. 28-30% Protein when in the Small Cage, 19% Protein when Green House, unlimited water. The first time I Hatched quails I had a 600+gram.. sad cause it was stuck by the food and water next to the maggot bucket tube.
How old are they? If they are still healthy at a year old, you're doing well.

@15 Weeks weight 437grams biggest hen… currently in the greenhouse. Eggs taste great. Here in San Diego it doesn’t get cold or super hot year round. I’m feeding them 19% and 30%, they forage bugs and worms. I make’m hop over stuff and clipped their wing feathers back.

Attachments

• E58BF963-6BFA-48EC-8423-6D4D22E41206.jpeg
    E58BF963-6BFA-48EC-8423-6D4D22E41206.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 759A6EC7-E943-45B0-9C53-9AF32C5AAA69.jpeg
    759A6EC7-E943-45B0-9C53-9AF32C5AAA69.jpeg
    996.9 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom