1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cabbage Treat!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by krazeepolack, Oct 31, 2010.

1. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

I had 1/2 a head of uncooked cabbage in the fridge that I had not finished. My chickens have been just slightly leary of new treats [​IMG] (just short of 3 months old) so I thought, "what the heck"-why not? Waste not, want not, right? I shredded some, & also put some in two hanging cages so they could peck @ it. Only one chicken went to the cages & jumped away as soon as she picked @ it. [​IMG] The tiny bell may have scared her away. I tossed the shredded cabbage out, then the feeding frenzy began!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] What a kick in the slats to sit & watch!!![​IMG] [​IMG] Previously, on another day, I had tried cucumbers, but they seemed to ignore them @ the time. Later, entering the run, I saw not a trace of cucumber! Hm! I wonder what else is in that fridge??

2. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I hang the whole head from a beam in the run... keeps them busy for days.....I also do that with brocolli and cauliflower... did it with a pumpkin today they went wild:p

3. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

SOUNDS interesting. [​IMG] I'll give the "whole item" thing a try soon.

4. johnschiks

johnschiks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Hurley, MS
    how do you hang the cabbage? just run a string through the middle?

5. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I grow them in my garden so they have a sizable stem so I tie up the stem.... if i don't have a big stem..I seperate a few leaves from the cut stalk on the bottom and tie it up that way.. they will eat every single bit of it.

6. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I hang mine from a small rope with a large eyehook attached. Most if not all vegetables and fruit can be screwed on the screw. It then hangs in the run and the chickens peck until it's gone. I have put corn ears, tomatoes, cabbage, watermellon, and any other things that have a core or tough peeling. It keeps them busy for quite a while.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have tried the whole cabbage idea several times. So far I have not one chicken show an interest.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Mine just let the cabbage sit for about a week before I threw it out for the wildlife.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by