Feeding Regimen

sammi_lynn12

Songster
Sep 14, 2022
Grovertown, IN
I would like to hear about everyone's feeding regimen?

I just had my first chicken death. No symptoms or signs. She was totally fine, running around yesterday, and then walked out to the coop this morning and she fell dead from her roosting bar. No blood, no nothing. I am thinking a possible heart attack but someone also mentioned that they could possibly be overweight and a liver fat disease could have been the culprit. I don't know think they are overweight personally, they fly and run all over but I am a first time chicken owner and don't really know if they are or aren't. They all seem healthy, even the one that just passed. Eating, drinking, pooping, running, flying, climbing on hay bales, etc. At this point, I would like to hear about your feeding regimens and see if maybe there is something I can change to prevent something like this happening again if it is fat associated.

I currently feed Kalmbach Organic Layer Crumbles and Kalmbach Layer Scratch. They have two options to choose from 24/7. Food is always accessible in their run. They get treats once a week, sometimes two times a week. Normally consists of any fruits or veggies I have accumulated during the week and sometimes bread and lunchmeat. It is only my bf and I so we don't have a ton of food waste. They also free range when we are home. So normally from 4:15 pm to 8 pm during the week. On the weekends sometimes all day if we are home all day. I have noticed that they are not going through feed super quick either this summer. Do I need to be taking food away in the afternoon and then giving it back in the evening? This death was just so random and she was seemingly fine hours prior. I know it could very well be a heart attack but if it is weight related, I would like to do something now to prevent this from happening again.

So, I would love to hear your feeding routines and what I can do to improve their quality of life if I am doing them a disservice feed wise. Thank you!

I currently feed Kalmbach Organic Layer Crumbles and Kalmbach Layer Scratch. They have two options to choose from 24/7
I am not familiar with this product, but sounds like a treat. In which case it could contribute to fatty liver. She also could have been egg bound. Sorry for your loss.

I feed Purina flock raiser crumbles (available at all times) and mix 5# of scratch with 40# of Nutrena naturewise all flock pellets to use as a treat. Occasional kitchen scraps as well.

I am not familiar with this product, but sounds like a treat. In which case it could contribute to fatty liver. She also could have been egg bound. Sorry for your loss.

I feed Purina flock raiser crumbles (available at all times) and mix 5# of scratch with 40# of Nutrena naturewise all flock pellets to use as a treat. Occasional kitchen scraps as well.
I attached a picture. I just started giving this to them as an option this month. So they have had access to it for about a week and a half and they aren't gorging themselves on it. They eat both feeds about the same amount which they are not going through quickly. So I doubt adding this feed within the last week could cause fatty liver that quickly.

I also am getting six eggs a day which I have six hens laying right now. Out of my newest four, one started laying Sunday and her eggs are tiny at the moment. She also presented no signs of being egg bound either. She seemed totally healthy. I am chalking it up to a possible heart attack. I wish I had cameras to see exactly what happened. I just wanted to make sure that my feeding regimen isn't causing any sort of issues.

Attachments

• feed.PNG
    feed.PNG
    307.4 KB · Views: 13
The picture does not seem to match either feed initially stated, but in such a short time frame, unlikely to be feed related.
That is the one that I considered a scratch feed. The other is just Kalmbach organic layer hen crumbles which they have been on since they started laying that a majority of people use. I just added the feed in the picture above to give them another option recently.

I found this thread today as I found my first dead hen today with no issues that I noticed before this happened. My husband performed a necropsy (that biology degree paid off). From the pictures we found online and the article about obesity/heat stroke/fatty liver, she had that fat pack. I'm heartbroken that I'm to blame even though it wasn't intentional. My question to those with more knowledge is this: do I stop free feeding?

I found this thread today as I found my first dead hen today with no issues that I noticed before this happened. My husband performed a necropsy (that biology degree paid off). From the pictures we found online and the article about obesity/heat stroke/fatty liver, she had that fat pack. I'm heartbroken that I'm to blame even though it wasn't intentional. My question to those with more knowledge is this: do I stop free feeding?

Sorry to hear about the death. This is a really good question. One I would like to hear opinions about also.
My hens are fed extremely well fed (read: spoiled) also. They have free choice grower crumbles, they get fermented high protien home recipie for breakfast, kitchen scraps, great free range area. My mum loves coming over and giving them scratch grain and finch mix... the latter has a variety of millets. They do lay an egg every day though.

So I wonder if it's just all too much sometimes. Maybe I should give them a fasting day for two each week with just their feeder?

I just had my first chicken death. No symptoms or signs. She was totally fine, running around yesterday, and then walked out to the coop this morning and she fell dead from her roosting bar. No blood, no nothing. I am thinking a possible heart attack but someone also mentioned that they could possibly be overweight and a liver fat disease could have been the culprit. I don't know think they are overweight personally, they fly and run all over but I am a first time chicken owner and don't really know if they are or aren't. They all seem healthy, even the one that just passed. Eating, drinking, pooping, running, flying, climbing on hay bales, etc. At this point, I would like to hear about your feeding regimens and see if maybe there is something I can change to prevent something like this happening again if it is fat associated.
I am sorry for your loss. Sudden death without obvious explanation is something any chicken keeper has or will experience sooner or later. Commercial operations where the birds are fed entirely on commercial feed expect it: this from a breeders' guide
"Flock management
Dead birds can be a source of bacteria multiplication, so they have to be removed from the house every day and be disposed of in a hygienic way."

It sounds like your birds are happy and healthy so I don't know why you're worrying about fat. Fat birds don't fly and run.

If you are interested in my feeding regime, I wrote an article about it recently, and the article was well received by the judges - indeed, I see it's item 1 on the front page of the featured content this morning! https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/

Back
Top Bottom