cabbage

fiddlebanshee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
my 14 chicks are about 7 1/2 weeks old and during the day they're out in a large run. I have read on here several accounts of people hanging a cabbage in the run and the chickens having days of fun pecking at it. So my two questions are:

1. are my chicks too young to do that? They seem to prefer things cut up and shredded for them, I am not sure they can handle a whole cabbage yet. Or are they just training me to cater to their every whim
tongue.png

2. how do you hang your cabbage? I'm having a hard time picturing how I might secure it so that they can peck at it and actually get some traction for tearing pieces off. If it swings, would that work? Is that the whole idea? Just stick it in a net? Ideas and hopefully pics are welcome.

Thanks!

I recently gave my 4 week old chicks a very tiny head of cabbage. I just set it on the coop floor. They pecked at it for a bit, but they don't seem interested in it any more. I've discovered that they love uncooked steel cut oats, though.

oh yes, mine go bonkers for both cooked and uncooked oats.

Mine also like chopped up veggies so you might try that with the cabbage (just mince it in a food processor). I wonder if they will eat it then.

I haven't tried cabbage, but mine love oats. We have been hand feeding it. Now when I open the brooder/coop (they moved into the coop today) and put my hand in they come RUNNING!!!
lol.png
My kids keep saying we won't be able to hand feed much longer. They also like tomatoes cut in half, pumpkin guts/seeds and shredded apple. As they get older I will try more.
hu.gif
We'll see what they like. So much fun!!
wee.gif

My girls are 9 months old and they enjoy swinging cabbage. I take a green cabbage and drill a hole through the center (from bottom to top). Then thread rope through the cabbage and tie a couple of knots at the end of the rope for the cabbage to rest on. Then tie the other end of the rope to something so it hangs and swings. This is very entertaining for my girls, especially in the winter.

I use a nylon fish stringer. It has the metal pointy end & goes right into the core of the head of cabbage (sometimes I have to push on it against the fence to get it in there). They LOVE it!

I don't hant my cabbage, I just toss it on the ground. the birds love rolling it around and when a bug gets on it they often fight for the chance to eat it.

I have however cut it up and covered it in sour cream, yogurt or mayo in order give them a bit of calcium and they love it.

Back
Top Bottom