cabbage

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fiddlebanshee, Nov 8, 2011.

1. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    my 14 chicks are about 7 1/2 weeks old and during the day they're out in a large run. I have read on here several accounts of people hanging a cabbage in the run and the chickens having days of fun pecking at it. So my two questions are:

1. are my chicks too young to do that? They seem to prefer things cut up and shredded for them, I am not sure they can handle a whole cabbage yet. Or are they just training me to cater to their every whim [​IMG]

2. how do you hang your cabbage? I'm having a hard time picturing how I might secure it so that they can peck at it and actually get some traction for tearing pieces off. If it swings, would that work? Is that the whole idea? Just stick it in a net? Ideas and hopefully pics are welcome.

Thanks!

2. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    I recently gave my 4 week old chicks a very tiny head of cabbage. I just set it on the coop floor. They pecked at it for a bit, but they don't seem interested in it any more. I've discovered that they love uncooked steel cut oats, though.

3. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    oh yes, mine go bonkers for both cooked and uncooked oats.

Mine also like chopped up veggies so you might try that with the cabbage (just mince it in a food processor). I wonder if they will eat it then.

4. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    I haven't tried cabbage, but mine love oats. We have been hand feeding it. Now when I open the brooder/coop (they moved into the coop today) and put my hand in they come RUNNING!!! [​IMG] My kids keep saying we won't be able to hand feed much longer. They also like tomatoes cut in half, pumpkin guts/seeds and shredded apple. As they get older I will try more. [​IMG] We'll see what they like. So much fun!![​IMG]

5. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    My girls are 9 months old and they enjoy swinging cabbage. I take a green cabbage and drill a hole through the center (from bottom to top). Then thread rope through the cabbage and tie a couple of knots at the end of the rope for the cabbage to rest on. Then tie the other end of the rope to something so it hangs and swings. This is very entertaining for my girls, especially in the winter.

6. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I use a nylon fish stringer. It has the metal pointy end & goes right into the core of the head of cabbage (sometimes I have to push on it against the fence to get it in there). They LOVE it!

7. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I don't hant my cabbage, I just toss it on the ground. the birds love rolling it around and when a bug gets on it they often fight for the chance to eat it.

I have however cut it up and covered it in sour cream, yogurt or mayo in order give them a bit of calcium and they love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by