Cabbage?

Sure. People often hang a cabbage to keep them busy in small runs. It might help to chop some of it finely to get them used to it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens
Oh THANK YOU for the feedback and link to the treat chart! That will come in handy.
smile.png

Yes, I hang one for them inside the coop. It rains so much here, it gives them something to peck at besides each other....However, they do prefer it chopped up on a plate!

I put a head of cabbage in the pen every few weeks all winter, I then noticed my eggs tasted bad. Like fish. I looked on here and saw many many many folks had eggs that tasted fishy to. I took the cabbage away and after a few weeks no more horrible tasting eggs. No matter how they were cooked they tasty yucky. I was beside my self wondering what I was going to do with eggs that tasted bad and the chickens in the coop. But when I put two and two together I took the cabbage away, yep all is well mow.

Last edited:
I put a head of cabbage in the pen every few weeks all winter, I then noticed my eggs tasted bad. Like fish. I looked on here and saw many many many folks had eggs that tasted fishy to. I took the cabbage away and after a few weeks no more horrible tasting eggs. No matter how they were cooked they tasty yucky. I was beside my self wondering what I was going to do with eggs that tasted bad and the chickens in the coop. But when I put two and two together I took the cabbage away, yep all is well mow.
Interesting. I will keep that in mind. Mine are only 8 weeks old now so probably no issues. :)

Wow, that is interesting. I didn't have that problem, maybe mine weren't eating as much of it.... I try to grow some winter greens too, for them. Kale, collards, beet tops, etc.

Back
Top Bottom