Cackle Hatchery Chick

purplechicken7

Chirping
May 24, 2016
North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
IMG_8377.JPG
(I assure you the chick pictured is alive)

I ordered the weekly rare chick assortment from Cackle Hatchery. I just picked up my chicks from the post office: 4 black Sumatras, 3 blue Sumatras, 4
Golden Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, 3
Black Breasted Red Standard Phoenix, and then 4 of these little guys. Can anyone help me identify? These chicks are yellowish white with silver chipmunk stripes and also have straight combs.

I'm impressed you've identified as many as you have. It's MUCH easier to do once they have feathers.

The silver chipmunks could be silver duckwing Phoenix. That's on their list. Leg tint gets darker as they age.

I'm impressed you've identified as many as you have. It's MUCH easier to do once they have feathers.

The silver chipmunks could be silver duckwing Phoenix. That's on their list. Leg tint gets darker as they age.

Thank you! I think that these chicks are standards though. The smallest chicks I have are the Phoenix. I thought they were originally standards but now that I'm looking at them they're much smaller. These silver ones are actually some of the largest chicks.

This may help you to identify your chicks. Last year I bought some that were supposed to be Brown Leghorns and they turned out to be Partridge Rocks. With many different breed the chicks look remarkably similar. The Partridge Rock chicks looked like the Brown Leghorn chicks. (oops)
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKBabyChicks.html

Having a comprehensive list of what the possibilities are and narrowing it down by traits is the only way at this age. Many chicks do look alike and then very different as they feather.

I'm not sure which categories the promo you chose included, I just skimmed through their "rare breed" section for chicks that would have a silver chipmunk pattern at hatch and a single comb. Of course, a silver laced Wyandotte also can look like that if they keep some singles for fertility reasons but I didn't think that would be considered "rare".

I think that I will post some more pics once the chicks get older. They're only 2 days old right now so it's hard to be sure what any of them are. I think my Sumatras could actually even be some kind of bantam.

Back
Top Bottom