Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Well it's official, I just ordered my surprise. They are due to be shipped on the 28th. Now I have to find something to keep my mind occupied until then. Lol. :)

I got my suprise today as well and was actually a little disappointed. I picked up the order since I'm only an hour away and I was charged $15 for shipping. I had asked that instead of refunding the money for the shipping that they throw in a couple salmon faverolles and some long tailed chicks. I ended up getting 44 birds total (one dead on pick up the rest healthy and spunky). It was a nice assortment that included two black spanish turkeys, but I did feel a little shortchanged. From researching here I expect about 60 birds. Don't ge me wrong, I still love Cackle -- I'm just a little disappointed this go round.

@hildar, I just might try knitting. It sounds like it would do the trick. Lol. We have animals here now but, only 2 dogs and 19 chickens. My birds are free range so they are easy to keep.

I got my suprise today as well and was actually a little disappointed. I picked up the order since I'm only an hour away and I was charged $15 for shipping. I had asked that instead of refunding the money for the shipping that they throw in a couple salmon faverolles and some long tailed chicks. I ended up getting 44 birds total (one dead on pick up the rest healthy and spunky). It was a nice assortment that included two black spanish turkeys, but I did feel a little shortchanged. From researching here I expect about 60 birds. Don't ge me wrong, I still love Cackle -- I'm just a little disappointed this go round.

Last year I got 42 birds, and about the same this year. I think the folks getting 50ish birds are especially lucky and not the norm.

Last year I got 42 birds, and about the same this year. I think the folks getting 50ish birds are especially lucky and not the norm.

It says on the site about 40 to 45 chicks. However I believe it also has to do with size and weight. If you get more tiny chicks the weight is less. Which means more birds in the box. Where bigger ones, geese, ducks, turkeys in there means less chicks.

It says on the site about 40 to 45 chicks. However I believe it also has to do with size and weight. If you get more tiny chicks the weight is less. Which means more birds in the box. Where bigger ones, geese, ducks, turkeys in there means less chicks.

I know. I was responding to somebody saying they were disappointed in the number of chicks they got

I have watched this thread a lot but just created an account. I got my hatchery surprise last week and have so far lost 20 of 46 chicks. 10 were DOA and another 8 died within the first two days. They are sending me replacements, but I am not too hopeful that any of those will last either. My chicks were shipped on a wed but didn't arrive at my post office until sat so perhaps they just couldn't handle the trip.

I have watched this thread a lot but just created an account. I got my hatchery surprise last week and have so far lost 20 of 46 chicks. 10 were DOA and another 8 died within the first two days. They are sending me replacements, but I am not too hopeful that any of those will last either. My chicks were shipped on a wed but didn't arrive at my post office until sat so perhaps they just couldn't handle the trip.

OH NO! That is a long time for them to be in the mail--I hope the others get to you sooner and survive better!

It was a long time. They got to my distribution center early on Friday morning and just sat there until Saturday morning. This is the second time this has happened. Last year I ordered chicks from a different hatchery while living in Missouri (so about a 4 hour car ride from the hatchery) and it took 4 days to receive my chicks. I only lost 2 out of 25 that time though.

Back
Top Bottom