Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

My surprise was shipped yesterday...so exciting! I asked for no geese so we will see what happens :)

The weight said 16 pounds which made my heart skip a beat...I'm assuming that's a typo and it will be 6 pounds.

They must have a lot of extra !! I don't think that is a typo. I ordered two surprises and mine weighed 38 pounds so maybe you will get a lot of ducks too !

Quote:
It is beyond cool. The ones I had would lay black in the spring and it would gradually lighten until the fall with the final color being a light grey just before the winter shutdown. I really miss having the duckies. Maybe next year I can convince DH that I NEEEEEDDDDD a surprise package. We will see how the bird swap goes on Saturday. If I come out ahead on money he may be ok with it. (once he sees the little ducks he will let me keep them) Planning in advance for nagging, I mean convincing him I neeeeeddddd them.

It is beyond cool. The ones I had would lay black in the spring and it would gradually lighten until the fall with the final color being a light grey just before the winter shutdown. I really miss having the duckies. Maybe next year I can convince DH that I NEEEEEDDDDD a surprise package. We will see how the bird swap goes on Saturday. If I come out ahead on money he may be ok with it. (once he sees the little ducks he will let me keep them) Planning in advance for nagging, I mean convincing him I neeeeeddddd them.

You are so lucky. Our swaps are cancelled because of ai. There goes my extra cackle money. My DH doesn't mind the surprise boxes. It when I bring home a pig is when I have reached the limit of his patience

I am very lucky they have not cancelled it yet.
I sure wish there was a cure or something that could be done for the birds. Such a sad thing. I keep checking to make sure it is still a go. I would hate to have to process any of the young hens since they have not even gotten to lay an egg or anything yet. Sure are pretty pullets though.
I tried to convince DH that the garden is too hard to dig when it is dry and to muddy the rest of the time so should be another coop area. He is not falling for it.

Hi everyone! New guy here. I don't have any chickens yet because I'm currently building a 6x8 coop. But I have been reading this thread and have become interested in the surprise package. . What size are yalls coops to hold a "bushel " of chicks, the coop must be huge right ?

I think most folks sell the ones they don't want to keep or process them. For me it would end up being a combination of the two. I would process most of the roosters since they are hard to sell.

Back
Top Bottom