AJ916

Songster
8 Years
Jul 4, 2015
I have this gorgeous Bantam Easter Egger I got from a Bantam Assortment from Cackle Hatchery. I’ve posted about her before asking for help figuring out her coloring and genetics, and from what I got as answers she looks like a splash. Now I know Easter Eggers are most of the time made from mixing some blue egg laying gene carrying roo, with a blue egg laying hen. And I’ve heard most of the time they’re made mixing one breed with an Ameracauna. However, looking up Cackles blue egg laying hens they only seem to have standard sized birds, all Ameracauna varieties and cream legbars. So I’m sure they mixed a bantam breed with a standard Ameracauna to get the bantam Easter Egger, but is there ANY way to try to pinpoint what type of bantam she was mixed with? I just want to know as much about my birds genetically as possible, and I’m super curious to try to see if I can figure out what exactly she is a mix of. Can I use her splash coloring to help pinpoint something based on the breeds and color varieties Cackle offers?

For a second I almost thought she was pure Ameracauna because they didn’t offer many blue egg laying options, and none in bantam size and she had the beard and muffs. But she’s a little on the smaller side so Im not convinced she’s a standard Ameracauna.

Picture of her below as a chick and present day

768B6D5F-D224-4AAB-81D4-06A81F6F02B7.jpeg

CD9BBD90-9EAF-47BC-A532-3A6E1BA6839E.jpeg

Ameraucana bantams were created from Easter Eggers in the 70’s and while it is possible true Ameraucana bantams or other breeds were infused in the Easter Egger line 40 years ago, it doesn’t matter because ever since then it has been all Easter Eggers.

“Breeder Farm Source: Cackle Hatchery® Poultry Breeding Farm has been developing our bloodline or strain of pure Easter Egger™ Bantam Chicken since 1978.” (Cackle website)
I think her parents were Easter Egger Bantams.
That makes a lot of sense considering the lack of any info on any Ameracauna being in the mix on Cackle’s website. So would that mean she’s just a complete mutt mix basically if we look at it genetically? Because there would be no way to track down the original mix to make the Easter Eggers in the first place

Ameraucana bantams were created from Easter Eggers in the 70’s and while it is possible true Ameraucana bantams or other breeds were infused in the Easter Egger line 40 years ago, it doesn’t matter because ever since then it has been all Easter Eggers.
Oh okay!! Do you know if Cackle is the only one that runs that way or are all hatcheries basically selling Pure Easter Egger lines? I read that they were mixed with Ameracauna and another blue egg laying gene carrying chicken but now I’m guessing that’s mainly backyard breeders and private breeders and that hatcheries just sell Easter Eggers bred together. Either way I feel like I lucked out with my hen because she’s so pretty! I just wish I could’ve learned her genetics and mix better.

Oh okay!! Do you know if Cackle is the only one that runs that way or are all hatcheries basically selling Pure Easter Egger lines? I read that they were mixed with Ameracauna and another blue egg laying gene carrying chicken but now I’m guessing that’s mainly backyard breeders and private breeders and that hatcheries just sell Easter Eggers bred together. Either way I feel like I lucked out with my hen because she’s so pretty! I just wish I could’ve learned her genetics and mix better.
I’m guessing that most hatcheries have just Easter Egger lines but idk.
The Easter Egger originated from Chilean blue egg laying landraces that were crossed with American breeds.
I’m going to do some digging since I just realized I don’t know much about the Easter Egger’s history.
Easter Eggers seem to have gained popularity in the 70’s but have been around since the 30’s.

I’m guessing that most hatcheries have just Easter Egger lines but idk.
The Easter Egger originated from Chilean blue egg laying landraces that were crossed with American breeds.
I’m going to do some digging since I just realized I don’t know much about the Easter Egger’s history.
Easter Eggers seem to have gained popularity in the 70’s but have been around since the 30’s.
That’s so interesting, I’m going to dive into some research a little too! I’m falling in love with the breed and I want to learn as much as I can about the birds I keep, even the history!

Back
Top Bottom