Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

The post office lost track of my shipment for a little more than two days. I just got it yesterday, and I keep losing birds :( I know it's not Cackle's fault, since three days in the mail is too much for the little guys, but I'm thinking of canceling my other order with them. I'm doing what I can, dipping beaks whenever someone looks low, but usually by the time they look droopy they're too far gone for me to help much.

Ugh. @imthegrt1, how are your peeps doing?

Make sure to put electrolytes and prebioticsee in the water.

The post office lost track of my shipment for a little more than two days. I just got it yesterday, and I keep losing birds :( I know it's not Cackle's fault, since three days in the mail is too much for the little guys, but I'm thinking of canceling my other order with them. I'm doing what I can, dipping beaks whenever someone looks low, but usually by the time they look droopy they're too far gone for me to help much.

Ugh. @imthegrt1, how are your peeps doing?

Same here....a week later and im still losing birds lost 2 more since yesterday. Someone told me to add acv to there water. Will help with pasty but lameness etc.

Thanks guys :) I did add some supplements and I'm dosing the weakest ones directly. Some of them don't seem well enough to move between food, water, and heat, but a few have perked up, and the rest seem perfectly happy. I did call Cackle and they said to call back Monday and let them know how it's going.

Yikes! I hate hearing news like this.
barnie.gif
You all have my deepest sympathies.

It's not often the PO completely loses track of a parcel. My problem is that I live waaaaaaaay out in the hinterlands. If certain connections aren't made, it adds a day onto the trip.

If you are far enough away that there might be problems, please act early and alert your local postal clerks, and ask them if they would please alert the nearest distribution center. Your phone numbers should be on the outside of the package and if there is a delay, there are helpful folks at the distribution center who should call you. That gives you some options, such as hopping in the car and driving hours to save the fluffybutts. Or asking someone to do that drive, or someone you know closer to the distribution center.

My 2 Surprise Packages are scheduled for 16 May hatch, and I've put in for the 18th and the 19th as days off. I'm tickled to have that luxury, although my partner would make the 3-hour drive if I hadn't done that. I wasn't sure at the time of the order receipt if he would be here by then. I've made a contact downstate who will call me from the plant of the boxes don't make the truck. Actually, he'll call me if they do, so I will be down at the PO at 6:30 when the truck rolls in.

Because I have contingency plans in place, it is unlikely I'll need them. I've found the universe tends to work that way.
old.gif

Last edited:
Looking through  some of the hatcheries  specials I came across  Cackle Hatchery's  Hatchery Surprise.    It   is 39.95.   Below is what I copied and  pasted  below.  My question is- Has anybody got this assortment before   and  is it really a bargain?  Also  has anyone ordered from   Cackle before.  Would like some feedback from those who have .    It doesn't make clear what kind of birds and was wondering if this possibley includes ducks and geese also. 

Thanks  -  Wayne

Hatchery Surprise

Like Surprises?

No choice of kind or amount of birds but we guarantee a bargain.

Hatchery Choice are shipped at 1 day of age, the chicks arrive at your post office at 2-3 days of age

Breed Abbrv   Group   QTY   Price   

To Purchase

Hatchery Surprise   Hatchery Choice   1   

We just ordered from cackle. So

@Liddy -- agreed! There were lots of numbers on the package, and I alerted the PO about the chicks weeks ago (I have some ducklings shipping tomorrow from Metzer's and a preorder with Holderreads, so I have made sure they know how to reach me even if the package doesn't say!). I spoke to three different people starting Friday afternoon when the box didn't show and they informed me that they couldn't help me track the package down because it hadn't been scanned at any point along the route. Between Wednesday 9pm and midnight Friday it could have been anywhere. I would have been happy to drive a bunch at weird hours if I'd had the chance
hit.gif

Only two of them are still looking unwell and I've been packing the little guys with electrolytes. It was just horrible to lose so many to something so avoidable.

So I showed the post of my tracking info and ask why it took do long amd they said they had hold up in the other state.
1st day-2 dead in site and 3 were week and lot were slow.
That night 3 more died and few were weak.that morning 3 more dead and more week we are now at 11 dead.
I have nice broody box double heat lamps run to keep cool 2-gallons of water and 2 food dishes.plus only was ship 45 so now at 35.not happy camper but that's livestock for you

I've followed this thread religiously for the past couple months. Just so everyone has an idea I ordered my surprise box Feb 7 and received it today April 8. After a sleepless night bc my box left Kansas city at 8:37 PM last night it arrived here in central Texas at 3:41 am. I don't post much just bc I'm still trying to learn but I thought I was pretty good at identifying birds. Boy was I wrong! I got 50 birds 1 was DOA so I'm at 49. 48 are looking great 1 is kinda slow. I know I got 2 ducks I think they are Swedish blacks. I specifically requested ducks turkeys and anything that'd give me food but no bantams. They put my request on the invoice. I also called them the morning of shipping and reminded them I want ducks and turkeys. The lady said she'd put another note and I got a copy of my invoice covered in stickers that said ducks and turkeys. I'll post pics shortly for help IDing.

I received box surprise box March 30th 1 doa. So far I have list 2 and 2 more are week. I am using medicated chick starter. Could it still be cocci?

Back
Top Bottom