Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Pics
I can't remember, did it ever say ducks, turkeys , geese? I don't recall if it did, and it still says numerous breeds and kinds of poultry... The numbers are new though I think!

If I do order I still can't decide if I want the surprise or the happy cackle special! (1 pair geese 1 pair ducks 2 turkeys 10 pullets 1 rooster 10 assorted rare chicks)

You should get the Happy Cackle Special, because even tho you'll know what kind of birds you will get, you'll still get to be surprised at what breeds you will get. Plus if you really want geese, ducks or turkeys this is the way you are warrantied to get them, other wise you might not get all or all of them with the other assortment.

Pictures!!!!

I believe these are Black Rose Comb Bantams

Splash Old English Game Fowl

Chipmunks! Not entirely sure here.

I think these are White Sultans. They all have a little poof on the head, and feathers on their toes, and 5 toes. I know they aren't Polish because Polish don't have feathered feed, nor 5 toes. *** Corrected, they are White Silkie Bantams ***

2 groups of 3. The ones in the corner may be White Leghorns.

One may be a Dominique or a Barred Rock. Another might be a Black Sumatra

These guys are very small. I think 4 of them are White Old English Game Bantams, and the other 2 might be Silkies or Cochin Banties.

These guys are Motted Houdans.

Peking Ducks.

Blue Slate Turkey. *** Corrected, it's a White Broad Breasted Turkey ***

I tried to get all of them, but if you count, that's only 46 out of 56.

If you have better ideas of the breeds, let me know!

Last edited:
Pictures!!!!

I think these are White Sultans. They all have a little poof on the head, and feathers on their toes, and 5 toes. I know they aren't Polish because Polish don't have feathered feed, nor 5 toes.

These guys are very small. I think 4 of them are White Old English Game Bantams, and the other 2 might be Silkies or Cochin Banties.

Peking Ducks.

Blue Slate Turkey.

I think your 5 toe chicks look like silkies, are they black skinned? Also, at least one of the ones you have as splashes looks like an easter egger, the one in the right corner? The turkey looks like a white broad breasted from the picture but maybe its more smokey colored in person.

Those are my guesses for now!

Thanks! I took a look online at Cackle's catalog... you can see the pictures bigger. I guess it is a White Broad Breasted Turkey. In the picture in their catalog they look much more yellow, but the one they have online is the exact thing.

And those must be white Silkies, too. They do all have black skin.

Keep them coming!

Thanks! I took a look online at Cackle's catalog... you can see the pictures bigger. I guess it is a White Broad Breasted Turkey. In the picture in their catalog they look much more yellow, but the one they have online is the exact thing.

And those must be white Silkies, too. They do all have black skin.

Keep them coming!
I've also found that when I watch the videos under the different breeds he sometimes points out a feature that I didn't notice before. I wish I had more guesses, I still don't know what all of ours are from last week
big_smile.png

Did you get any Naked Necks/Turken?

I've also found that when I watch the videos under the different breeds he sometimes points out a feature that I didn't notice before. I wish I had more guesses, I still don't know what all of ours are from last week
big_smile.png

Did you get any Naked Necks/Turken?
No, no Turkens. I was hoping! I'm going to see what I can sell of these, and then if I make enough, I'm going to order another! Maybe I'll get one then!

After all of the issues we had with our Surprise this year I'm not sure I would order it again.

Out of 2 ducklings and 47 chicks we had 9 losses. We have a number of chicks that are having health issues. Trying to keep them healthy got almost to the point of ridiculous. At first I thought it might be the feed we were using because it was a different brand than what we usually use but we fed it to our other chicks who were a week older and they are fine. We did go back to our normal feed. It could have been the weather, but I know of 2 other Surprises from the same time, 1 had issues, 1 didn't...so frustrating just not knowing...I also had a couple of breeds that seem to make up most of my losses.

I'm not knocking Cackle as a hatchery, we ordered from them last year, our first Surprise, and had an order this year and our chicks were all healthy and did great.

The problem with the Surprise is you can't 'recover losses'. Yes, with the ducklings we skated in at the 40 chicks but honestly, when you hear of people getting larger Surprises and not having issues, its hard not to be frustrated. There are many factors that could have contributed to the issues we had but if we had at least ordered something different we would have gotten credited back something for our time/stress/trouble.

Remind me of all of this when I order another one...
smack.gif

ETA:this is a picture of one 'issue' we are dealing with. Our turken has a round mass, at its vent, feels like a crop. Its had a golf ball shaped body since we got them in. The vent it NOT blocked, it has pooped fine...

Last edited:
Pictures!!!!

I think these are White Sultans. They all have a little poof on the head, and feathers on their toes, and 5 toes. I know they aren't Polish because Polish don't have feathered feed, nor 5 toes. *** Corrected, they are White Silkie Bantams ***

Peking Ducks.

Blue Slate Turkey. *** Corrected, it's a White Broad Breasted Turkey ***

I think the chipmunk looking ones are Brown Leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom