Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Pics
I ordered mine yesterday!!! (Sunday, March 10, 2013) We started with 6 red sexlink pullets and 2 assorted bantams from TSC. My favorite little one didn't make it (of course I had no 'attachment' to the others). Then we bought two white leghorn pullets from a local feed store. After finding this thread I HAD to order the surprise just for fun!
smile.png
We haven't decided on how many we are going to keep but we need to figure it out soon so we can build our coop! I can't believe I'm so excited about chickens!!!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
I ordered mine yesterday!!! (Sunday, March 10, 2013) We started with 6 red sexlink pullets and 2 assorted bantams from TSC. My favorite little one didn't make it (of course I had no 'attachment' to the others). Then we bought two white leghorn pullets from a local feed store. After finding this thread I HAD to order the surprise just for fun!
smile.png
We haven't decided on how many we are going to keep but we need to figure it out soon so we can build our coop! I can't believe I'm so excited about chickens!!!
celebrate.gif

It's funny how it happens.

I was really bad at "chicken math" for several years (didn't ever get more than planned). Then I saw threads about this surprise... I don't know why this one is so much more exciting than many other assortments from many other hatcheries.

I also recently had to get 5 new EE chicks "just in case" the surprise didn't include any.

I 'almost' ordered a few EE to add because I think I really, really, really need them. I didn't because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to tell them apart from the others!
lau.gif
Now I'm wishing I would have!
smile.png
There's always next year I guess!

Mine arrived this morning! They sent 2 ducks, 8 turkeys and 32 chicks. One of the turkeys and one of the chicks didn't make it. Everything else looks pretty healthy. Looks like they sent everything in pairs! Of what I can ID:

4 white or royal palm turkeys (I don't know how to tell them apart, but my guess is they're whites)
4 (1 died) bronze or narragansett turkeys (again, my guess is the bronze)

2 pekin ducks

2 buttercups (1 died)
2 golden laced polish
2 white cochin
2 buff cochin

The rest are pretty generic looking. There are no silkies, but a couple of bantams.

I did the math - 2 pekin ducks, 4 white turkeys and 4 bronze turkeys alone cost $54.50, before shipping.

I'm thinking I like this assortment!

Back
Top Bottom