Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

When is the best time to order so that I maybe lucky enough to get some turkeys
If you look at their website, they start hatching turkeys in March. So, I would say that as long as you get a ship date March or after, you'd have the possibility of getting turkeys. As they told me, it really just depends on what everyone else orders and has shipping the same day as yours... No good way of knowing, unfortunately.

IN LATE JUNE 2015 AND IN MID AUG I GOT TURKEYS IN BOTH BOX'S. 4 EACH TIME...BUT IT REALLY DOES DEPEND ON WHAT THEY HAVE REMAINING SO AGAIN THERE REALLY IS NO SURE WAY TO KNOW IF YOU WILL GET ANY OR NOT. YOU COULD MENTION IN THE COMMENT BOX THAT YOU WOULD APPRECIATE TURKEYS....THEY DO TRY TO HONOR A REQUEST IF THEY CAN.....ENJOY YOUR BOX...THESE A FUN!!!

HI all! My chicks are here!!!! It's been a bit of a rough morning 'cuz I found out that my sweeter heater and heat lamp weren't enough with the cold temps we had last night/this morning when paired with my non-heated coop. I ended up bringing space heaters from inside the house out there to get everything warmed up. If my count is accurate, I think I've got 49 birds, 2 of which are ducks and 2 of which are turkens. There are a few polish? and the rest I'm completely unsure of. Any help ID'ing them would be much appreciated! It's really hard to take pictures of them when they're all running around the brooder though so please forgive the quality of the pictures.

This one has a bit more blue/greyish color on its back than is evident in the picture.

This brown one is a bit bigger than the rest, but it's kinda hard to tell when they're scurrying all over the place. :D

There's a couple in there like each of these.

One in there with a black body and yellow "hat" like in this picture. Any ideas on that one or any of the others? P.S. the ducks are in there with the chicks on a TEMPORARY basis! We had some issues with it being too cold outside so I put everyone together to consolidate heat sources (sweeter heater + heat lamp).

Just some group shots. If you can ID some of these, please do and describe which one of them the ID is for.

Blue... Feathered shanks? If yes, Cochin. I'm not sure what all they have that's blue and clean shanks, probably Easter Egger, Old English...

Gold Laced Polish

There's a couple in there like each of these.
Silver Laced Polish, Houdan, Gold Laced Polish

One in there with a black body and yellow "hat" like in this picture. Any ideas on that one or any of the others? P.S. the ducks are in there with the chicks on a TEMPORARY basis! We had some issues with it being too cold outside so I put everyone together to consolidate heat sources (sweeter heater + heat lamp).
Black with white hat is a White Crested Black Polish

Black with white spot is a Barred Rock, Cuckoo marans or Dominique.

Might be a Marans--the black one in the lower right with feathered shanks. Houdan, Easter Eggers, Sussex, possibly Phoenix...

Last edited:
My boxes will be here in April and March. I have 3 coming and 15 rare breed turkeys from cackle. Today I received 25 Blue laced red wyandotte chicks from Murray Mcmurray. They also sent one rare chick. It is a partridge standard cochin. I just wanted to tell someone who would think it was cool that I got them today. I am very happy. They all arrived healthy but they all look splash. I guess time will tell.

Well, we're getting our box shipped in 5 days. We ordered 2 of the surprises...for some reason lol I also ordered 5 cayuga ducks and 5 blue slate turkeys. The turkeys won't be shipped until next month though (late April). They are only just starting to have the blue slate lay eggs and there are zero rare breed turkeys that will be hatched out before early-mid April, according to the gal I talked to. Anyway, I just thought I'd give ya'll a heads up, since I got that info, anyway. And don't worry, I'll have about a half billion pictures as I try to ID everyone lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom