Cackle silkies?

Capricoco

Songster
Mar 17, 2022
Next year I’m hoping to get some silkies, and I’m ordering some chicks from cackle, so I was wondering what the quality of them was. Are they good quality, or more hatchery quality?

Next year I’m hoping to get some silkies, and I’m ordering some chicks from cackle, so I was wondering what the quality of them was. Are they good quality, or more hatchery quality?
Can’t speak to the quality of the Cackle Silkies. But in general if you want the super fluffy Silkies with nice crests and beards and good conformation, you’re better off buying from a breeder.
Most hatchery chicks are bred for quantity not quality.😊

Can’t speak to the quality of the Cackle Silkies. But in general if you want the super fluffy Silkies with nice crests and beards and good conformation, you’re better off buying from a breeder.
Most hatchery chicks are bred for quantity not quality.😊
From what I’ve heard cackle birds in general are usually of higher quality than any other hatchery, and I have heard of people getting a couple of show quality silkies here and there from cackle. Someone even said that they had put their bird from cackle in show and it beat birds from breeders. I’m not sure if these are just a lucky few or a lucky majority.

I don't have Cackle Silkies, but one of my hatchery Silkies looks pretty good. Def not show quality, but she's awesome, so I'm not complaining. She's pretty poofy. This pic doesn't do her justice.
20191116_164831.jpg

Her sister, on the other hand, just looks weird. But they're such sweet, good chickens. I really couldn't ask for much more.
20200520_191118.jpg

No matter who you go with, I’d advise from personal experience to not go with Meyer Hatchery for silkies at least. Super weak genetics that made the chicks drop like flies.
I agree, Meyer is horrible, I had the unfortunate luck to get some from them years ago (didn't know they were from meyer's until after the fact), the chicks all died within a few weeks and had neurological issues etc.

Stay away from Meyer's lol That's my best advice

I agree, Meyer is horrible, I had the unfortunate luck to get some from them years ago (didn't know they were from meyer's until after the fact), the chicks all died within a few weeks and had neurological issues etc.

Stay away from Meyer's lol That's my best advice
I wasn’t planning on getting from Meyers anyway, but that’s really good to know.

I don't have Cackle Silkies, but one of my hatchery Silkies looks pretty good. Def not show quality, but she's awesome, so I'm not complaining. She's pretty poofy. This pic doesn't do her justice.
View attachment 3037878

Her sister, on the other hand, just looks weird. But they're such sweet, good chickens. I really couldn't ask for much more.
View attachment 3037880
They’re both so cute! Silkies are such little darlings.

Back
Top Bottom