Cactus needles in goose feet

Goose_Willis

Chirping
Jun 12, 2023
My gosling was favoring one foot so I flipped him over and pulled a few cactus needles out of both of his feet but I noticed this lump on the foot he's favorong as well as some smaller lumps on the webbing of the foot. They're obviously bothering him, he kicks when I start to touch them so I'm worried that there are embedded cactus needles in the lumps.

Should I soak his foot and try to squeeze them out? I don't have Epsom salts but I do have baking soda. I have tweezers but I wasn't having very much luck finding anything to grab onto.

Attachments

• 20230626_123002.jpg
    20230626_123002.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230626_122822.jpg
    20230626_122822.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230626_122908.jpg
    20230626_122908.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 7
Could be they broke off and are under the skin. Do you have drawing salve? It will bring a splinter up to the top so it may do the same with a cactus needle . Poor little one I bet that does hurt.

Could be they broke off and are under the skin. Do you have drawing salve? It will bring a splinter up to the top so it may do the same with a cactus needle . Poor little one I bet that does hurt.
I agree that it probably broke off at/under the skin and it's hard to see the entry point due to the 'scales' on his feet.
I don't have a drawing salve, would I be able to find one that's safe for animals at a feed store or are the ones at pharmacies safe for animals?
After I pulled the needles out that I could see/grab I let him go and watched him move for the rest of the day and after a quick nap he wasn't acting like the foot was bothering him anymore so it isn't restricting his movement at the moment. I also checked my other geese and pulled a few needles out of their feet too but the gander is the only one with those lumps.

I bought drawing salve at TSC Ithammol [sp] is one then there is Prid. Only problem is these areas may get infected if the needle stay inside the skin. I'd at least try the drawing salve.
Thank you, I'll pick some up this week and get on him. I definitely don't want him to get an infection if I can avoid it as there aren't any avian vets in my immediate are to lance it for me.

Back
Top Bottom