Caged chickens

cajunlizz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana
Does keeping chickens in cages until they are old enough to be turned loose in a coop and run cause them to develop slower ?

Our area had ALOT ALOT of rain when revented us from building the coop and run area .

QUESTION # 1 : OUR chicks were like 10 - 12 weeks old before we could TURN them LOOSE into their new coop and run . CAN or could this cause slower development ?

The seem to all be healthy and happy , BUT according to all the pictures in this forum of breeds and ages , MINE seem so much smaller ...

TEENS are on proper feed ( GROWER ) and hens are on laying pellets and GET varity of leftovers , plenty water , ETC.

QUESTION #2 . Once the hens start laying , is that the ONLY kind of feed that is required for them ?

I don't think keeping them caged would affect growth as long as they got some exercise and contact access to feed/water. Dunno on that one...

As far as feeding laying hens - layer pellets are ALL they NEED once laying as far as feed. I also have oyster shell avilable for them for grit and extra calcium, but they don't take much of that.

You should feed them a starter food until they do start laying though and not before. Feeding layer food to soon is not good for them and they do not get the protien they need and too much calcuim will damage the kidneys of them. I think the general rule of thumb is starter until the first egg appears or until they are 18 weeks of age. Hope this helps.

You should feed them a starter food until they do start laying though and not before. Feeding layer food to soon is not good for them and they do not get the protien they need and too much calcuim will damage the kidneys of them. I think the general rule of thumb is starter until the first egg appears or until they are 18 weeks of age. Hope this helps.

This is really helpful to know! Thanks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom