Moving Chicks in with Hens - feed?

PhenixJiRa

Songster
Aug 12, 2022
Idaho
My 6 chicks are 6 weeks old next week. They are in their own coop at the moment.

I’ve read several thoughts on moving them in with the hens. Some say now or maybe 6-8 weeks old but to create an escape area.

Sounds like it could work but what about their food?

The hens have layer feed and the chicks have grower feed and I’ve heard never to give chicks layer feed. Not sure how I can “teach” them to only eat their food.

Do people just put it in the panic area and hope for the best??

The hens have shells and their layer feed. I would worry about moving them to grower feed. Not sure what would happen.
I recently started mixing my girls 18% pellet with chick starter 20% protein crumble because I am anticipating chicks hatching next week. The big girls push aside the pellets and prefer chick starter. It won’t hurt them at all. They have oyster shell on the side.

The hens have shells and their layer feed. I would worry about moving them to grower feed. Not sure what would happen.
What would happen is you'd have happier hens. A higher protein feed is generally preferred by them. Hens never need to eat layer feed.

If you are planning to use panic openings for integration you need to do it soon as chicks outgrow the openings around 8 weeks or so, unless you have much smaller chicks and much bigger hens (like bantam chicks vs. large standard hens).

I recently started mixing my girls 18% pellet with chick starter 20% protein crumble because I am anticipating chicks hatching next week. The big girls push aside the pellets and prefer chick starter. It won’t hurt them at all. They have oyster shell on the side.
Both my grower and layer feed coincidentally have 18% protein. I have oyster shell and dried chicken shell out all the time.

So I should mix the two together for the hens for a while so they get used to it and then switch back? I wonder if they will get picky when I switch back to just their layer feed after s couple months.

I’ve also been told that some people just use an all flock feed all the time.

What would happen is you'd have happier hens. A higher protein feed is generally preferred by them. Hens never need to eat layer feed.

If you are planning to use panic openings for integration you need to do it soon as chicks outgrow the openings around 8 weeks or so, unless you have much smaller chicks and much bigger hens (like bantam chicks vs. large standard hens).
Thanks for the advice. We are making the gate this weekend!

More questions

I am going to make a gated area for the chicks under the coop as it’s the only space for it. It is 7’x4’ and 2’ tall. I can make a gate so the hens can’t get there.

But what about night time? I just got the chicks used to sleeping in their own coop at night and I don’t know if they will go into the bigger coop on their own.

If I put them in their now, they are still quite small compared to the hens.

My other option is to leave them in the smaller coop until they are 8 weeks old and then put them on the perch of the big coop some evening and not create the gate at all.

Both my grower and layer feed coincidentally have 18% protein. I have oyster shell and dried chicken shell out all the time.

So I should mix the two together for the hens for a while so they get used to it and then switch back? I wonder if they will get picky when I switch back to just their layer feed after s couple months.

I’ve also been told that some people just use an all flock feed all the time.
certainly All flock with oyster shell on the side is appropriate for everyone. All flock crumble can accommodate chicks but some people get pellets and smash it or grind it to make chick size.
Layer feed has too much calcium for chicks and males.

Back
Top Bottom