Cake decorating. Need an idea.

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by paddock36, Mar 1, 2011.

1. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have to make a cake for a luncheon at my work on the 9th. The luncheon has been themed "Spring Fling". Anyone have an idea of how to decorate the cake (or cakes if neccessary). I have taken the Wilton decorating courses so I know how to decorate the cakes but just didn't want the same ol' flowered cake. Oh, the luncheon is going to be hamburgers, hotdogs, corn on the cob, and the regular cookout type simple foods. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Nobody [​IMG] , oh well. Guess I'll just search the web again.

3. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    If you have facebook check out the Wilton site. There are 240,000+ photos on there of what people have done. I find it very helpful when looking for a unique idea.

4. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Kitty Litter Cake is always a big hit.
    It really looks like a cat box (with Tootsie roll cat poo)

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would like to suggest CUPCAKES!!! Everybody loves a cupcake. You could do white icing with a little shamrock on each one for St. Patty's Day.....Or some green sprinkles........

6. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Working in the baking industry for as long as I did, here is a tip. Get a box mix. They come out the most consistent. As far as decorating, you took a classes so that is good. How about a round cake, with basket weave sides and fresh edible flowers on top. Maybe pansies. Way easy but looks professional and fantastic.

http://candacebakescakes.blogspot.com/2009/09/basket-weave-flower-cake.html

Like this but fresh flowers if you can get them.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  7. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    Do a burger! White cake top and bottom, don't cut the 'crown' off - use it for the top bun. Color accordingly. Use sprinkles/jimmies for the seeds on top of the bun. Chocolate cake with chocolate icing for the burger. Use icing with the 103/104 tip for the lettuce/tomato.

You could also do a 'spring hat' cake - rounds with flowers, with a ribbon.

Cupcakes with different flowers would work...or with icing and fresh berries on top

8. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:I remember that one from when I took the classes.

Thanks everone for the ideas.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  9. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    I love the hamburger idea! [​IMG] I had one for my DH's birthday last year! It was a real hit!

I'm a gerber and lily fan - so thinking of a 'springy' cake, I see bright fondant flowers and polka dots!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by