Calcium concern

Sally PB

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
I have three hens and a rooster, so I feed Kalmbach 20% protein All Flock with oyster shell and crushed eggs shells (mixed together) on the side. The hens eat a lot of the egg shells, but I don't think they eat much, if any, of the OS. Their egg shells are... not soft shelled, but a little wimpy. The yolk breaks about 50% of the time, which is a problem for my DH's over easy eggs.

Last week, I switched to a different brand of OS. I don't think they eat that either. I've tried sprinkling a bit on their food, but that doesn't seem to fool them into eating it. Yesterday, I had the wimpiest egg shell in a long time.

I could switch to a layer feed... but what about the roo?

The treats I give are their food, wetted into a mash (most common treat), weeds, greens, melon guts with seeds, and occasionally BOSS and mealworms.

Any suggestions welcome.

I'm assuming the food wetted as a mash would still be ok...? The other stuff is as much for entertainment and "something to scratch around" as for food.

I will try taking out the egg shells to see if they will start eating the OS. Right now, I have the two mixed together.

Thanks for the input!

Have you tried mixing oyster shell into the mash? I know that’s not a long term best practice, but to get a quick boost of calcium, might help?
Yes, I plan to put some in today's mash treat. If it helps, I'm ok doing it every day!

I like giving them mash because it uses up the fines that are left over from their crumbles. In the winter, it's also a way to give them a warm snack.

My chickens eggs have strong shells.
I feed either Dumor All Flock or Purina Flock Raiser and always have Oyster Shell in a different container in the coop.
I also give them canned dog food everyday and leftover veggies as snacks.
Eggs are perfect quality and are delicious.
I have 14 hens and 1 rooster.

Back
Top Bottom