Calcium-Phosphorus ratio for wethers....does this sound ok.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by littlebanty, Jul 23, 2008.

1. littlebanty

littlebanty Chillin' With My Peeps

I purchased Manna Pro 16% Classic goat.....I talked to a local breeder and she told me thats what she feeds. Calcium min is 0.75%....max is 1.25%......phosphorus min 0.40%...it shows no max. I feed coastal burmuda grass hay....not sure the ratio. I ordered the Manna Pro loose goat mineral....Calcium min is 16%...max is 19.25%...phosphorus is 8.00%. Is the ratio good or should I add aflafla pellets? Once they get grown I may leave the classic goat out and just feed very little alfalfa pellets. Would this be ok?

http://www.mannapro.com/goat_mineralTD.html

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    This can get complicated...

The calcium to phosphorus ratio in your goats feed should be calcium 2.7 to phosphorus .3 ...

so that Manna Pro feed is low on Ca.

I think you need to go ahead and add AC to the feed to prevent UC if it's not already added.

3. littlebanty

littlebanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes it is added. And the MP goat mineral has it also. The ratio in the mineral is Cal---min 16% max 19.20%.....Phos----min 8.00%.

Once they are grown should I go ahead and take them off the grain...and what age...they are 4 months.....they are only getting 1/4 cup in morning. I am keeping the on CB hay, mineral, and should I just feed them alfalfa pellets as grain to up the ratio of Ca. Or should I go ahead and add the alfalfa pellets now....I am getting so many ways people feed their wethers. I just wasnt to feed the correct ratio and prevent UC. I was told that Burmuda hay is very high in phosphorus low in Ca. I have no clue. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by