Calcium question

BrownEyedGal

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 19, 2013
Liverpool - UK
Hi all,

So we have two ducks - a khaki Campbell and a white Campbell. One of them has just started laying (had one every day for the last week so she's doing well!) and the eggs are great so far.

I've read about extra calcium supplements when they start laying and that it can be from ground up egg shells. They get 3.9% calcium in their layer food.

So is this enough considering the eggs so far have been fine? Or should I supplement? And if I should supplement them, if i put the egg shell in a separate bowl will the duck who's not laying just ignore it because she doesn't need it yet? I don't want to make her unwell!

Hope this makes sense,
Thanks!

Hi all,

So we have two ducks - a khaki Campbell and a white Campbell. One of them has just started laying (had one every day for the last week so she's doing well!) and the eggs are great so far.

I've read about extra calcium supplements when they start laying and that it can be from ground up egg shells. They get 3.9% calcium in their layer food.

So is this enough considering the eggs so far have been fine? Or should I supplement? And if I should supplement them, if i put the egg shell in a separate bowl will the duck who's not laying just ignore it because she doesn't need it yet? I don't want to make her unwell!

Hope this makes sense,
Thanks!
My ducks love ground up egg shell as do my chickens[hens] so i'd say it would be a very good source of calcium and they will only eat it if they need it and if your other one is close to laying it won't hurt her either. Just be sure not to leave it out over night to keep predators from coming around. Even though my girls rarely have egg shell problems I still give them extra calcium in the form of oyster shell and egg shells.

Back
Top Bottom