Calcium Ratio???

akcskye

Songster
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
I just had a soft shelled egg laid today, so I want to make sure I up my girls calcium for the next 2 days by giving them Tums (500 mg extra strength).

I know oyster shell is best, but my debit card is at it's weekly maximum for withdrawals and I lost track after paying bills and didn't have cash on me when it maxxed for the week...so I'm left without any money flow until Friday, which means I can't just "go and buy oyster shell" until then (thank God I buy my gas and groceries weekly or I'd really be out of luck!).

UGH!!!!!

So, back to what I was saying...I have Tums in hand...but didn't know if there was a ratio to provide?

I have 6 hens, no roos...so, do I just crush up a few tabs and give them it or what?

Last edited:
No idea how much tums to give... but, a soft shelled egg today doesn't necessilary mean you'll get one tomorrow, and even if they loaded up on calcium today, it will take some time for it to reach the egg machinery of the hen. Personally I'd just wait it out and get some shell later, or maybe crush up a pellet or two. Not really sure what the normal calcium ratio is for hens.

You could crush up some dried egg shells, till they are almost grit size, and mix it with thier feed. That might help for your budgeting, and still give them calcium if they need it.

Back
Top Bottom