Calculator help

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
So I'm trying to figure out a color cross on that genetics calculator that's in Dutch that everyone likes here (I really don't know the title) and I just.... cant. I can't get it to equal anything,and I don't have enough information genetics wise to input all those specific genes in.

Are there easier calculators that just do color patterns and mixes?

Last edited:
It's a black crested white polish and a tolbunt polish

I'm assuming you mean the kippenjungle calculator? They have an easy version where you can just choose a pattern.
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator
Other than that I don't know of any easy calculators.

It doesn't seem to have white crested black (I looked for "white crested black" or "black with white crest" in the alphabetical listing, and did not find either), and it also doesn't have "tolbunt," so the easy way isn't going to work for those colors.

Tolbunt Polish (in photos) looks like it could be Gold Laced Polish with mottling. So you could choose "Gold Laced (Sebright)," then add mo/mo and it would probably be at least close.

For White Crested Black I don't know about the white crest part, but you could try choosing "black" and see how that goes.

Off the top of my head (not actually using the calculator) a cross of those is likely to give these results:

First generation cross will probably be a bunch of mostly-black birds, with various amounts of color/pattern leakage, and since I have no clue what genes are involved in making the crest white, I don't know whether that will pop up or not.

Second generation (F2, crossing the first generation together) will probably produce quite a few colored like the first generation, some like each parent, some black with mottling, some gold laced, maybe some silver laced, maybe some like Tolbunt but with silver instead of the gold, and some other patterns or combinations that show up when you shuffle the genes around.

It's fairly common for blacks to be genetically silver (not gold), but I don't know for sure about your Polish, so that's why I predict "maybe" some silver-based birds in the the F2.

It doesn't seem to have white crested black (I looked for "white crested black" or "black with white crest" in the alphabetical listing, and did not find either), and it also doesn't have "tolbunt," so the easy way isn't going to work for those colors.

Tolbunt Polish (in photos) looks like it could be Gold Laced Polish with mottling. So you could choose "Gold Laced (Sebright)," then add mo/mo and it would probably be at least close.

For White Crested Black I don't know about the white crest part, but you could try choosing "black" and see how that goes.

Off the top of my head (not actually using the calculator) a cross of those is likely to give these results:

First generation cross will probably be a bunch of mostly-black birds, with various amounts of color/pattern leakage, and since I have no clue what genes are involved in making the crest white, I don't know whether that will pop up or not.

Second generation (F2, crossing the first generation together) will probably produce quite a few colored like the first generation, some like each parent, some black with mottling, some gold laced, maybe some silver laced, maybe some like Tolbunt but with silver instead of the gold, and some other patterns or combinations that show up when you shuffle the genes around.

It's fairly common for blacks to be genetically silver (not gold), but I don't know for sure about your Polish, so that's why I predict "maybe" some silver-based birds in the the F2.
I'm not looking for a white crested black though
This color I'm getting is white with a black cresy. Wouldn't those be different genes?

Last edited:
I'm not looking for a white crested black though
This color I'm getting is whore with a black cresy. Wouldn't those be different genes?

:he Yes, those, would be different genes. I clearly should have gone to bed before typing that answer, instead of after. :oops:

Um, try Lakenvelder for them. I find a few old threads saying that's what was used in developing the color, and it does have the black head on mostly-white (although there must be some modifiers involved in making the Polish tail white instead of the Lakenvelder's black.)

If they're a silver columbian-based pattern (like Lakenvelder is), then you could get all silver-based chicks, or you could get gold/silver sexlinks, depending on which parent is which gender (gold father, gold daughters, or silver father, all offspring silver.)

All chicks should be split to mottled, probably with messy black lacing on silver or gold.

:he Yes, those, would be different genes. I clearly should have gone to bed before typing that answer, instead of after. :oops:

Um, try Lakenvelder for them. I find a few old threads saying that's what was used in developing the color, and it does have the black head on mostly-white (although there must be some modifiers involved in making the Polish tail white instead of the Lakenvelder's black.)

If they're a silver columbian-based pattern (like Lakenvelder is), then you could get all silver-based chicks, or you could get gold/silver sexlinks, depending on which parent is which gender (gold father, gold daughters, or silver father, all offspring silver.)

All chicks should be split to mottled, probably with messy black lacing on silver or gold.
Alright, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom